Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Smart phone abroad – what to turn off?
  • WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

I am taking my personal smart phone abroad so the company won’t be picking up the bill.

What do I need to turn off so that I don’t get stung by a huge bill?
    What apps should I avoid using?

All I need it for is to receive calls in emergencies, take photos and maybe the occasional look at a map when I am lost.

All help welcome

geoffj

Turn off data roaming. Some mapping stuff wont work with it turned off though.

What is it?

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Samsung Galaxy

data roaming is not currently ticked but Use Packet Data is ticked. Any idea what that means?

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’va a galaxy too, turn off wireless unless you need it, turn off gps and bluetooth too. When roaming looking at websites it’ll cost ya loads unless you piggy someones wifi….I used very minimal browsing over one week and it cost me £30… other than that it’s reasonably cheap unless you are on a dodgy tariff..

geoffj
    WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Blue tooth was already off and I can’t find GPS

I will only browse when connected to the hotels wifi.

Can I pre-download maps so that I do that in the uk instead of while away?

geoffj

Can I pre-download maps so that I do that in the uk instead of while away?

I downloaded a satnav package for the country I was going to. I’m sure there’ll be something in the Android Market place. Where are you going?

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Rome

GrahamS

Blue tooth was already off and I can’t find GPS

They don’t use data. No worries there.

portlyone

My HTC had widgets where I could turn off the internet, antenae (i.e. airplane mode) etc. Anything like that on yours?

I left on wifi and turned on GPS when i wanted. Left internet off for the entire time.

nickjb
    Free Member

Turn off ‘assisted’ GPS, though. That uses data.

Might be worth phoning your network provider, O2 suggested I do that before travelling. They usually have a list of settings for each phone. That way if you do get any roaming charges at least you’ve got some come back

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Smart phone abroad – what to turn off?’ is closed to new replies.