Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • 'Smart pedals' do these people actually ride bikes?
  • ibnchris

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-30706146

Surely these weren’t the brainchild of anyone that actually liked bikes…

grenosteve
    Free Member

Sounds good to me tbh… If It works! Cheap trackers have been around for ages for motorbikes, and they’re usually crap.

I can see commuters using them.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Those plastic platform pedals are quite popular on commuters. Try riding any kind of pinned/cage pedal with proper office shoes on. Not convinced by putting GPS trackers in them, needs to be somewhere hidden and subtle.

richpips
    Free Member

Not convinced by putting GPS trackers in them, needs to be somewhere hidden and subtle.

Why’s that? If you nick the bike you can’t take the off

You need a pedal unique spanner to remove them.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I guess its quite clever in that a pedal is really the only thing you can easily bolt on to a bicycle that is also capable of generating its own power. Though i can’t really see if taking off either.

Phones already do the other stuff, commuters with expensive bikes want proper pedals, and a cheap-hack bike will probably be cheaper than the pedals alone.

poly
    Free Member

Why’s that? If you nick the bike you can’t take the off

You need a pedal unique spanner to remove them.

really? looks like a standard 8mm hex on the shaft.

richpips
    Free Member

really? looks like a standard 8mm hex on the shaft.

While installation is incredibly straightforward, the pedals can only be removed with a special coded key held by the owner.

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2015-01/05/connected-cycle-smart-pedal

midlifecrashes

Or a hammer.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

You’d just take the whole crankset of, pedals and all wouldn’t you? Not a bad idea for commuters maybe, but it wouldnt be appearing on proper road or mountain bikes any times soon.

A helmet that warns you if you’re in a trucks blind spot sounds like a good idea though.

kayak23

A helmet that warns you if you’re in a trucks blind spot sounds like a good idea though.

Training or some might say, common sense is a better one surely..
    😉

kimbers

Unique pedal spanner? Another standard!

gwaelod
    Free Member

Designing roads, streets and cities so enormous vehicles with poor visibility don’t use the same spaces as people is much more likely to work.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Unique pedal spanner? Another standard!

No worse than keys for the alloy wheels on cars.

Who nicks car wheels anyway, or was it something that actualy happened in the past?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘'Smart pedals' do these people actually ride bikes?’ is closed to new replies.