Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 90 total)
  • Smart meters – any reason why not?
  • newrobdob
    Free Member

I really can see the point in a smart meter. Moving to a bigger house and I’d like to track my energy usage and not having to do meter readings to see if I’m up or down on credit would be great.

However there does seem to be some negative press of them which to be honest reads a bit tin-foil-hat to me.

Stories of bills going up etc – how can they unless you use more??

P-Jay
    Free Member

Nah, no downsides.

Whenever there’s a change of pretty much anything the ‘hard of thinking’ will always wail about “them” ripping them off.

the-muffin-man

any reason why not?

Your sanity!?

If you are OK with your current bills, why stress about saving another tenner a month.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Yes and no – as it stands – one meter, one price, etc.
    WOn’t be long before they start billing depending on when the usage is though.
    Already in place in Italy – got hammered on the last bill there due to the times the oven/washing machine/etc was used.
    Certain they’ll do it here as soon as they can.

newrobdob
    Free Member

I have no problem being billed more at certain times of the day if it gets to that.
    British Gas are doing a free electric on a Saturday daytime which would work well for me to put dryer on in winter. We aren’t typical energy users anyway so timed charging would be ok for us.

It’s a new bigger house we are buying so I’d like to see how we use energy in it as it’s very different from our last house.

UrbanHiker
    Free Member

One of the current issues with domestic smart meters is that there is no common standards for accessing them. The upshot of this is that if you change energy supplier, you may well have a meter that is not compatible with the new supplier. At that point everything either goes back to the stone age of reading meters popping round, or you have another new one installed. Of course this may or may not bother you.

newrobdob
    Free Member

“If you are OK with your current bills, why stress about saving another tenner a month.”

A tenner a month would be great! If I can save that I’d be happy.
    As I completely renovating the house I’m putting LED lights everywhere, planned heating system to be efficient, making sure everything is insulated ok etc etc.

yeager2004
    Free Member

Someone in the office said he’d read recently in Which? that you need to be careful to get a generation 2 smart meter – apparantly the gen 2 meters can be migrated to a new provider, where as this isn’t possible with the gen 1 meters (which some providers are still installing).

Not sure if this is true, but would be worth checking.

jon1973
    Free Member

If you are OK with your current bills, why stress about saving another tenner a month.

If it’s very little effort as a one off to save a tenner a month, why wouldn’t you?. That’s would be my Netflix subscription paid for plus 101 penny chews.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

If you have OCD tendencies, avoid smart meters like the plague, you will be running to the meter every time something is turned anything on or off. 😆

hammyuk
    Free Member

I’d get Netflix and 401 penny chews :mrgreen:

wonnyj
    Free Member

I think the question should be “why bother”?

I can already read my meter and do it accurately. The publicly funded, expensive and patronising adverts on TV seem to view automated remote readings as revolutionary. I wouldn’t put it past most energy companies to mess up reading an automated smart meter, or indeed to mess up the billing.

Also they’re not very smart. They do automatic remote readings and allow the utility to switch off supply remotely if required (which may save the rest of us some money). But it won’t give me high resolution data about my energy use, it won’t tell me which circuits are doing what, and it doesn’t really do anything for me.

Time of use tariffs might work for some people but I can’t see them catching on.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Its not whether timed tariffs catch on or not – the suppliers will bring them in anyway.
    Hugely more profitable for them as how many will never bother looking at the clock?
    The wife sticking the uniforms on at teatime along with the oven?
    How many won’t want the dishwasher and washing machine running after 10pm when they are going to bed?

deadkenny
    Free Member

Because the real reason for introducing them is finer granularity of usage information which allows for even more (and more expensive ultimately) complex tariffs. Initially the leads to peak and off-peak charging and then they’ll probably tailor rates based on individual usage. Whenever you are most likely to use energy will basically be the most expensive. Yet they’ll have some lovely cheap rate periods of no use to you, which keeps the government happy with their push on smart meters.

Adverts currently banging on about estimated bills. Sure, but in the end you always pay for the actual usage once someone reads it, or you can just submit the reading yourself. Smart meter just means they can lay off meter readers.

Balls to it I say. I keep getting letters and emails telling me I need to change the meter and it’s “free” but yet it could cost me a day off work and I have to ring a non-free number to arrange it.

And then they claim my current (digital) meter may be “unsafe”. Yeah right.

cynic-al
    Free Member

British Gas are doing a free electric on a Saturday daytime which would work well for me to put dryer on in winter.

BG tariffs are expensive so it’s still a con.

£350 is the cost on our bills for a smart meter – you might as well have one – but they are in no way the panacea those marketing them say thy are.

jambalaya
    Free Member

As above AFAIK they tie you to one supplier. I have dual fuel and British gas have been trying to get me to have one for ages (they are suspicious of my low usage)

And then they claim my current (digital) meter may be “unsafe”. Yeah right.

Oh yes, I get this all the time.

dooosuk
    Free Member

I can’t see how most people will save any money.

After an initial period people will revert to their normal usage patterns (if they changed them in the first place).

Who’s paying for it all anyway? Someone somewhere must be trying to claim back the cost of the meter and fitting.

MrSmith
    Free Member

WOn’t be long before they start billing depending on when the usage is though.
    Already in place in Italy – got hammered on the last bill there due to the times the oven/washing machine/etc was used.
    Certain they’ll do it here as soon as they can.

Economy 7/ economy 10 has been available for decades.
    I’m all electric so on economy 7 and I usually run the washing machine overnight as it’s 1/3 of the cost per unit.
    I wouldn’t mind a smart meter if it means I don’t have to go outside to the meter and take a snap and then manually enter the reading on my energy providers website.
    I can’t see the problem if it means the direct debit can be adjusted to track usage closely.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Wasn’t there something recently about some of them catching fire?

jambalaya
    Free Member

My cynical analysis is they also want to deskill the meter reading (fully automatic as its on wifi in future ?) and they suspect people systematically under read their own meters.

I had a big row with water company as we could not have a meter and thus got put on a fixed charge which was treble what we used at a similar metered property. Once more people are on smart meters, standard ones will be charged at a higher rate 😐

jon1973
    Free Member

I’d get Netflix and 401 penny chews

No HD? Cheapskate 🙂

deadkenny
    Free Member

dooosuk – Member 
    Who’s paying for it all anyway? Someone somewhere must be trying to claim back the cost of the meter and fitting.

We pay for it. Gov is spending £11bn on the programme (according to my Googling) which I guess is subsidy to the companies and the promotion of it all, and the consumer pays part of it in their bills over subsequent years.

Again, back to estimated bills. Gov’s argument is it will end these. Sure, but does it end the up front grab of money to plan ahead for your potential usage? Estimated bills are just about not having read the meter, but pre-charging estimates are a different thing. That’s taking £100s up front to cover what they think you might use 6 months from now. Sure that may be more accurate with a smart meter based on previous year’s usage, but ultimately they’re taking money to sit on, invest and make profit from. This is the bit that needs scrapping. Just use the energy, you get charged for the usage, end of.

jon1973
    Free Member

Eventually smart meters will be used to charge you more a peak hours.

yetidave
    Free Member

#tin foil hats on time# lots of stuff on t’internet saying its bad for you having what appears to be a powerful mobile phone relaying information all the time. Also, I understand that they can link to other meters to relay the signals. There are also people concerned over how much information they can really gather and transmit, ie they can be hacked into your wifi or some other such guff.#tin foil hats off#

Can’t be bothered to take a day off to have it fitted.

Flaperon

At the moment I feel the benefits outweigh the potential inconvenience of a meter change when you swap suppliers. I hate reading meters – it’s a waste of 5 minutes every time I have to find the stupid key and grovel among the spiders and cobwebs, then log in to a convoluted bloody system to hand over the reading. Which isn’t accepted half the time.

I have British Gas smart meters and there have been no issues (so far…)

They still (STILL!) can’t run it like a mobile phone where I can an exact bill every month, but it’s getting better. I have no doubt they’ll be used to gather personal metrics in the future but right now they save time for me.

hammyuk
    Free Member

ITunes jon:D
    Everything for £5.99

fisha
    Free Member

Cant be bothered with it. I would ignore what it displays anyhow. Over the years, my leccy bill hasn’t risen anything like the gas has. I think its down to things in the house being more efficient ( LED lights, laptop computer instead of desktop, LED TV versus a big old plasma etc etc ) which has countered the rising leccy costs somewhat.

stever
    Free Member

I’d have one but my electricity cupboard isn’t up to scratch so couldn’t. Back to wading through walking boots, wine rack, etc under the stairs with glasses and a torch. Completely *dumb* that they are not compatible between suppliers – what were they thinking? I have solar panels and use the meter on that to decide when to put dishwasher on, etc. Similar stuff.

GrahamS

In terms of usage monitoring I have a little energy monitor that my supplier (power) provided for free.

Battery-powered transmitter just clips onto the mains line next to the (normal old school dumb) meter and mains-powered receiver sits in the kitchen showing usage (instant/average etc).

Not quite as useful as a smart meter but free and 2 minutes to install.

kayla1
    Free Member

I don’t want one because we’re on prepayment meters with Ecotricity for both gas and electricity and currently the only ways to top up with a smart meter with Ecotricity are either online or phoning up. No ta. It just seems like buggering about for buggering about’s sake.

br
    Free Member

We’ve one in the granny annex we just built for my Mum.

Using electricity costs money, I don’t need a ‘smart’ meter to tell me that…

Pointless waste of money IMO, more billions wasted on a political whim.

DT78
    Free Member

A just had one fitted find it interesting at the moment (big older house so costing a lot…)

Somehow I seem to spend 1/3 of the daily electricity before 6am so trying to track down what on earth spikes it massively at midnight. Apparently it doesn’t include the standing charge which is why I thought it was…

I’m in a similar boat with upgrading and trying to make the place more energy efficient. One tip on the LEDs, if you have a dimmer, don’t bother trying to buy the more expensive dim able LEDs, I tried two brands both failed to work properly and ended up changing the switch. The extra cost probably negates the first two years savings!

natrix
    Free Member

There are some disadvantages if you have solar power fitted…

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

I’ve got an Owl remote meter thing that tells you how much juice you’re using? Used it once to figure out what was costing me money (AV and PC stuff on standby – got remote AC plug/switches) and haven’t touched it since.

Will chuck it in the post for the price of postage and couple of beers – £10?

jambalaya
    Free Member

@DT will be intresting to hear your findings, I would think midnight to 6am leccy usage would be close to minimal – fridge only ?

Rio

Apparently it doesn’t include the standing charge

Ours adds the standing charge at midnight. British Gas, others may do it differently.

newrobdob
    Free Member

DT78 – I got a 3 dimmable bulbs for the lounge which are those fancy filament style ones then a leading edge LED dimmer switch to match. Seems to work really well.

Matt24k
    Free Member

Ours adds the standing charge at midnight. British Gas, others may do it differently.

Also with BG and yes the Gas and Electricity standing charge is added just after midnight.
    From my understanding Smart Meters will be compulsory from 2020 with the advantage that you can switch suppliers almost immediately.
    Free electricity on a Sunday 9-5 has changed the way we use power.

cinnamon_girl

From my understanding Smart Meters will be compulsory from 2020 with the advantage that you can switch suppliers almost immediately.

Nope, they won’t be compulsory. Personal choice:

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/245736/smart_meters_domestic_leaflet.pdf

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/smart-meters-how-they-work

richmars

I’d love one, but we’re on oil so it would only show non-heating usage. Oil use is a pain to measure, modern tanks aren’t a nice shape so dip tubes and level tubes don’t work easily.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 90 total)

The topic ‘Smart meters – any reason why not?’ is closed to new replies.