Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)
  • Smart Casual
  • wombat

I have to attend a work do later this week and have been told that the evening meal has a dress code of “Smart Casual” and that the men need to wear jackets.

Smart I can do.

(Very) casual I can also do.

It would appear I need a smartish jacket that I can wear with jeans (chinos will not be featuring in my ensemble no matter what) and won;t make it look as though I’ve taken fashion advice from the wardrobe department at Top Gear.

To this end I’ve decided to ask a bunch of mountain bikers what I should wear 😯 so….any suggestions?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

remove a tie, jacket matches trousers

better to be smarter than casual

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Dark jeans, white shirt, a suit jacket and some smart shoes

br
    Free Member

Pinstripe jacket with jeans?

ericemel
    Free Member

Wear this “Smart I can do.”

Remove tie and swap trousers for your best jeans.

MrNice
    Free Member

not answering the question, but is just me who hears the words “sports jacket” and thinks of goretex and zips instead of tweedy stuff?

soobalias
    Free Member

smart casual and jeans?

jeans is casual

mikewsmith
    Free Member

bearnecessities

Chinos are spot on for such a remit, you Philistine 🙂

wombat

Only 7 posts before a picture of AP and JC 😀 I had bet with myself it would happen before we hit double figures 8)

As I will need to purchase said garment and chinos havent featured in my wardrobe since the mid 1980s I’d like to limit additional clothes shopping to 1 item if at all possible 😉

but is just me who hears the words “sports jacket” and thinks of goretex and zips instead of tweedy stuff?

No, me too

40mpg

Board shorts, wifebeater vest and a tie?

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Use a tie as a belt-substitute on your jeans.

peterfile
    Free Member

As above, just wear a suit with no tie. If everyone is more casual, take your jacket off, if they’re smart you can keep it on. All bases covered.

It helps if you’ve got a suit/shirt combo that isn’t overly business like (ie not black/dark grey). I’ve got a nice navy one that covers pretty much everything from weekend family celebrations to work stuff.

IMO “smart casual” was made up to protect events from people turning in tracksuit bottoms covered in paint and a 1993 Sweatershop jumper. Or girls dressing like they were turning tricks before they arrived.

P-Jay
    Free Member

“smart casual” is a oxymoron, “smart casual with a jacket” doesn’t even exist in my world. It sounds to me like the new office wear look of suit without tie.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

As I will need to purchase said garment and chinos havent featured in my wardrobe since the mid 1980s I’d like to limit additional clothes shopping to 1 item if at all possible

Do you own a suit? Easy to remove tie.
    Chinos are not something you should ever wear in public, jeans and a jacket can be pulled off if you get it right…

footflaps

JC isn’t smart casual, he’s ‘yob casual’.

edhornby

“Smart Casual” and that the men need to wear jackets.

their logical failure not yours 🙂

both bits of suit, smart shoes, tie can be worn or removed and put into a pocket, everyone else will play it safe

binners

Its a minefield. Just don’t go.

Stevet1
    Free Member

I have to attend a work do later this week

And I’m out.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Stevet1 – Member

I have to attend a work do later this week

And I’m out.[/quote]

LOL your colleagues thank you it’s easier to talk about you if you don’t show 🙂

wombat

Chinos are not something you should ever wear in public

Heartily agree with this ^

Looks as though it’s going to have to be suit without a tie, either that or I’ll go the full Francis Rossi double denim 😉

MrSmith
    Free Member

Just make sure the shirt is really billowy and puffs out like a muffin top over your trousers.
    shoes should be a bit pointy with scuffed toes. jacket should fit badly.
    you will probably fit right in if the other people going if they are your average U.K.males.

italian firm/clients/colleagues?
    try looking at a few style blogs/pinterest/GQ/Esquire and find a look that you think you would be comfortable with and match it.

wombat

italian firm/clients/colleagues?

Scottish based firm….

People from all over the UK

sputnik
    Free Member

Tweed jacket with jeans.

dazh

t-shirt with ‘smart casual’ written on it?

mark90
    Free Member

Scottish based firm

Follow the local traditional smart casual with jacket dress code…

cookeaa

Sounds like they want you to go “business casual”…

If I have to wear a jacket I’d not count it as being casual.

What do you normally wear to work?

patriotpro
    Free Member

Personally I think a suit-jacket worn with jeans looks daft.
    I’d wear chinos, shirt and a smart jacket (not a suit jacket)…
    As you won’t wear chinos, wear jeans…

jekkyl

LOL@ Rab C…

‘I tell you this boy *thumps newspaper in hand* I’m not wearing no chinos for no po-faced work bamsted’

kiwijohn

Well someone had to do it.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Scottish based firm….

Edinburgh?

or Glasgow?

footflaps

From a 3 yr old STW thread on Smart Casual:

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/smart-casual

therevokid
    Free Member

full suit but no tie … If it’s good enough for the leaders of our
    country !

Xylene
    Free Member

There is only one place to go at a time like this:

http://thechapmagazine.co.uk/

Gunz
    Free Member

Having sat through several lectures on correct attire for various occassions at Dartmouth Naval College, I’m going to wade in here. Sports jacket with light blue jeans doesn’t cut it, dark blue or light brown, possibly. I have never given in to the chinos so I know where you’re coming from but I am partial to very thin corduroy (primarily because they can be chucked in a suitcase and iron themselves at your destination).
    Failing any of this you really can’t fail with a pair of bright red moleskins (leave the Regimental tie at home).

wrecker
    Free Member

I’ll be ****ed if I ever dress in loafers, a “sport” jacket or “slacks”. I’d sooner just wear a suit.

wombat

suburbanreuben – Edinburgh

tinybits
    Free Member

Me* – yesterday

*ok, not actually me. Older, fatter and lot more ugly, but this is my ‘smart casual’ which I’ll randomly wear to work or the pub just because I can.

footflaps

Do you have to have the funny stains as well? Looks like she poured tea down her skirt….

nickc

and won;t make it look as though I’ve taken fashion advice from the wardrobe department at Top Gear.

Shoes: Not trainers.
    Trousers: Dark Blue Jeans (if you’ve nothing else), or other similar, chinos, cords, etc
    Shirt, not polo, not tee shirt
    pullover or Jacket

Simple.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘Smart Casual’ is closed to new replies.