Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Smart cars with telescopic speed cameras on top?
  • mtbtomo
    Free Member

So, I’ll get flamed for this on a bike forum, but I may have been going slightly faster than the speed limit this morning (in the car) and spotted one of those Smart cars with a telescopic camera from the roof. It had camera signs on the boot and Bolton council/community logos on the side and there was a guy in a police/community vest getting in and out.

Can anyone confirm if they’re speed cameras or are they checking for illegal parking and general cctv of busy areas etc?

Anyone ever had a ticket from one?

wwaswas

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/GMP-to-target-motorists-with-Smart-Car-CCTV-Fleet-4049.php

not sure if speed enforcement is something that councils can do now? Maybe they just send a warning letter?

Bregante

Afaik these are bus lane cameras.

bikebouy
    Free Member

No tickets no but Sotty and P’mth City councils have had a few on test for CCTV in the cities for a couple of months now, they being the electric Smarts.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Local authorities can’t do speed enforcement. That has to be the police. Local authorities can enforce decriminalised parking matters. Or at least that’s the way it works in Nottingham. Call the council as ask their traffic manager if you’re unsure.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Thanks guys.

As I say, it was a community / council branded van on the side, but when I saw someone dressed in a highviz jacket with a blue logo across the back, I thought it was police.

It was in a residential / school area which suggests parking and other offences but I’d also expect speeding was one they’d be keen on with kids around.

Worth a call to the council maybe or wait a couple of weeks for that dreaded envelope on the door step….

khani
    Free Member

Around here they use them outside schools to stop twatty parking, never seen em doing speed traps..

joao3v16
    Free Member

Around here they use them outside schools to stop twatty parking

Excellent! Can we request them to visit my son’s school please?

Loads of parents performing twatty parking. When there’s a perfectly good car park 100m away.

Kryton57

Its entrapment btw.

maccruiskeen

Its entrapment btw.

you are being enticed to break the law simply by being watched – thats a little bit Heisenbergy

So, I’ll get flamed for this

thats a bit Hindenburgy

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Smart cars with telescopic speed cameras on top?’ is closed to new replies.