Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 127 total)
  • Small(ish) practice jumps in Surrey Hills
  • teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Feel the need to practice small jumps in a controlled way – to overcome block with one jump on well-known pitch hill tail – too embarrassed to admit which one! 😉

Any suggestions on location of decent smallish jumps to practice on. There used to be a series of three on St Marthas, but they had been diminished last time I checked

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Make one?

There is a baby, kind of double ‘thing’ on Proper Bo you could practice on?

The jumps on Captain Clunk & the other one to the left of it are pretty small, although they are actual gaps, so coming up short isn’t really an option.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Make one

Possibly, but fancy riding up their late afternoon

The proper bo one – is that the one right at the top before the trail proper*? Might not be proper Bo, but I am imagining the two on the short section above the X-roads – a small drop and a small table? (you are getting warm in terms of the jump that has me psyched at the moment 😳 )

I need to search Cpn Clunk, dont know which that is.

Might juts go and session the particular jump but I have had one crash and one near miss on it before and so have a mental block with it – silly as it is rel small with a nice berm to ride out on!

*edit: looked on Strava, the bit I am guessing is called dad’s jumps I think?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Swinley? Plenty of tabletops on the blue and bigger rollers which can be doubled on the red.

Local BMX jump spot, locals might implement a “no dig, no ride” policy though. There’s usually a small line in amongst the bigger stuff.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Tried the Milford pump track but its a bis step from the tablestops – where i cany get much air, to the third run which has gaps on it!

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Just looked up CC on strava – rode that a few weeks ago. Something a little less than the bigger drops at the end. Cant remember any on the flatter bit.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Proper Bo is on the left side of the hill as you go up from the WB carpark.

If you go up to the crossroads on the ridge on the left, and then aim back down towards the bottom, the fireroad goes down into a hollow before rising again – the trail is there on the right.

It joins in with Curly Wurly towards the bottom and comes out on the middle fire road.

Just thinking there is a reasonably fun, long, rooty off camber trail just off the side of Curly Wurly too with a smallish double at the start. No idea what it’s called though.

Gotama
    Free Member

You probably need to admit which one to get some relevant suggestions! For example, based on your previous posts, I’m pretty certain the jumps on captain clunk will make your knees shake 😀

As above though the Proper Bo one is pretty straightforward. The table at the bottom of thick and creamy would also probably work. You could push up and roll down into the berm around the second drop assuming you’re not comfortable with that.

Proper Bo is on the left side of the hill as you go up from the WB carpark.

Assuming you’re riding up the valley fireroad to the windmill car park. If you’re on the higher fireroad that takes you to the top of pitch then its on the right as you go up.

There is that little jump where you go in just after the crossroads where everyone lines up for the run in to Proper Bo.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Cheers guys – I know Proper Bo – normally ride that second after warm up on T trails. As above only ridden CC once and remember rolling most of the jumps and avoiding the gaps !!

Gotama – I will name and shame (myself!!) but perhaps have another crack at it today. Its not big at all 😳

Rockape63
    Free Member

I’m pathetic at jumps these days, as I keep thinking I can’t afford the time off if I get it wrong! What we all(well most of us!)need is a local training route that has say ten jumps on it, starting at a foot and working up in 6inch increments to get the confidence going.

Dango
    Free Member

teamhurtmore, I know of a place with a few small jumps and kickers and live and work locally.

email me, might even hook up for some of the same

dgreenyer AT hotmail DOT com

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Will do – thx.

Just off now and might just “session” the offending jump!!

acidtest
    Free Member

There’s a really easy jump at the start of ‘reservoir dogs short’. Basically from the top of Barrys you cross the road towards holmbury hill and the entrance is on the left about 500m up the hill. There’s a few nice rollers and small jumps along that trail.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Cheers acid. Might just try that. A quick spin up Radnor Lane will offset the pork and leek slice!

Will let you know!!

jambalaya
    Free Member

Go on the Nirvana Freeride Practice or Wednesday Old Blokes Ride. Tell Simon what you want to practice.

You want something with an easy run out, ime it’s worrying what you are going to do after landing (eg hit tree, corner shortly after landing) which ensures you FU the jump. Do not brake on landing, consciously leave it a good few seconds

acidtest
    Free Member

No worries. I’m sure you’ll enjoy that trail, you can stitch ‘I should coco’ off it too if you fancy something a bit more gnarly.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Thx – all sorted did the “problem’ jump twice – like all problem bits, bit of an anticlimax in the end as it was perfectly straightforward as long as you carry enough speed into it! Glad to have overcome it thought!

I went up and did your jump (I think) – smallish hump on RH side of trail? Not sure about the rollers though. Thanks for the idea as it was v easy to hit that one quite hard and build confidence. So after that quickly down BKB up Pitch and warm up on Ts and then the little jumps on Daddy’d jump before the bogey.

As it turned out to be so straightforward I will keep it quiet – too embarrassing otherwise 😉

Gap jumps next (did avoid the gap on PBo!)

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

I am crap on names of the middle runs on Holmbury. But there is a great trail which is little more than a deer path with little jumps built into it, which is fun. Pretty much smack in the centre.

thewanderer
    Free Member

I spent a couple of hours on Saturday at the Dorking West jumps. Good fun and a few good tabletops. Was thinking I was doing quite well until my mate videoed my jumping. What felt massive was only a foot above the ground.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

I think I made 1″ today !! 😀 Watch out Danny Hart 😉

thewanderer
    Free Member

Which brings me to a question. On reviewing my technique – such as it is – I can see I’ve learnt to protect myself by moving my weight back (away from danger!)

I would have thought itd be better to stay more neutral. Anyone have any thoughts on how to work against this instinct??

Dango
    Free Member

Whats dorking west like now these days. I thought it supposed to be a bit blown out, over grown and with a lot nasty stuff poking out of the ground (built with building site waste)

Caveat – I’ve never ridden there

thewanderer
    Free Member

Yes and no. I enjoyed it.of a set of three tabletops I built up to clearing one.. and actually having to back off a bit as I was landing too far… yet could not hit clear the next two.

This could possibly be technique more than quality of the site.

It wasn’t the prettiest location but we still had fun and felt like we progressed.

thewanderer
    Free Member

“Could possibly” = “fairly likely”

acidtest
    Free Member

@teamhurtmore yeah it sounds like you found it. The rollers are further down, perhaps rollers isn’t the best way to describe them.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

I think so, thanks. I only use strava for reference and it wasn’t picking the run up on my mobile when I was up there. Perhaps the rollers were on a different fork as I trended right after the obvious muddy one not long after the jump.

Good idea though as (1) the ride up worked off some of pork and leek slice 🙂 and (2) good confidence build that made me realise that I just need to MTFU and hit the “problem jump” with speed and confidence. The usual story!!

Now for the log jump on the run to the Left of Barrys!!

Added bonus riding your recommendation and T0 – ie flattish turns demonstrates that I can be a lazy rider and that on the flat stuff I need to be much more dynamic in terms of shifting body/bike position. I always ride the start of T0 badly!!

Gotama
    Free Member

Now for the log jump on the run to the Left of Barrys!!

The one right at the top? If so you probably don’t want to jump off that with any speed or you won’t make the corner! You can just roll the top one btw. Or do you mean the one three quarters of the way down?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Yes the one right at the top. I only found that run recently but wimped the jump for exactly the reason you describe – how would I make the corner (among other excuses). I did roll it!!

nice run that and then there is a good climb back up to half way along BKB that saves going right to the bottom.

Noticed quite a few variations becoming more obvious at the bottom of BKB now

jambalaya
    Free Member

The drop off on the trail hard left a little after the top car park which joins BKB is quite serious Mr T, certainly not rollable (although maybe its all changed as it’s been a while), I nose dived one of similar size on a Nirvana ride and everyone was surprised I got up 😐

@the wanderer 1) go and see Jedi 2) focus on having more weight on your feet, pushing down on the pedals on take off instead of hanging off the back (note I am rubbish at jumping now having retired after a few larger crashes)

Gotama
    Free Member

The drop off on the trail hard left a little after the top car park which joins BKB is quite serious Mr T, certainly not rollable

We’re talking about different drops. The top one over the log is no more than 8 inches. There is a slightly bigger drop further down which you need to carry a little bit but is still nowhere near thick and creamy drops and I reckon you could, albeit in an awkward looking manner, roll it.

It’s faster to squash the top one to get your wheels back onto the ground and then get round the corner. If you pop off it whilst carrying a little speed the tight switchback becomes a mess.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Doesn’t everyone just take the Strava line after the drop on Barry Knows Nothing? 😉

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

We’re talking about different drops. The top one over the log is no more than 8 inches.

You are making me feel really bad/ineadequate now!!! 😀

jambalaya
    Free Member

Doesn’t everyone just take the Strava line after the drop on Barry Knows Nothing?

🙂

Sometimes I think about getting some signs made up saying “Strava Line” and putting them on corners and just aiming straight down the hill.

razorrazoo

Which brings me to a question. On reviewing my technique – such as it is – I can see I’ve learnt to protect myself by moving my weight back (away from danger!)

I would have thought itd be better to stay more neutral. Anyone have any thoughts on how to work against this instinct??

Doing that is going to put you in more danger most of the time. As mentioned above, go and do a Jedi Jumps and Drops session, there will be plenty of focus on body position.

danbo
    Free Member

You need to start very small again and get used to keeping your weight centred as you stand up off the take off. No point continuing on bigger jumps with bad technique as you will get hurt. Get out with Simon from Nirvana on a Saturday. Plenty of new or improving jumpers go to those sessions.

acidtest
    Free Member

@teamhurtmore yeah the rollers are a fork left about 150m from the jump and it leads back to the reservoir. I always go that way now when heading to Bkb from Holmbury Hill as it’s loads more interesting than the fireroad.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Interesting and a good idea – I usually go up to CP and then down the trails on the RHS of the forest road towards the reservoir

Might sneak out for another late afternoon ride later.

mccraque

teamhurtmore – Member
    Feel the need to practice small jumps in a controlled way – to overcome block with one jump on well-known pitch hill tail – too embarrassed to admit which one!

Do you own a Proflex?

acidtest
    Free Member

From the CP if you go the way you normally do and take the second right (I think, definitely not the 1st right) it’ll bring you out opposite the entrance to ‘reservoir dogs short’.

The 1st right is ‘mr pink’ which comes out opposite of ‘jackie brown’/’twig trail’. That’s another good trail, kind of old school xc with loads of roots.

I’ll be up there later and heading from the youth hostile cp at about 6.30 if you fancy meeting up.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

AT – nice idea but have to go there now and have friends coming round at 19:30, so need to be scrubbed up. I might ride on H though and will be around until about 18:20 ish on a yellow camber evo, dirty green grotty T shrt and white and black helmet.

Probably better another time! But our tracks might cross

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 127 total)

The topic ‘Small(ish) practice jumps in Surrey Hills’ is closed to new replies.