Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Smallish camelback recommendations (e.g. charge) or osprey maybe?
  • dh
    Free Member

for most of my smallish evening rides these days i dont really need to use my camelback mule as its **** huge and feels like i am moving house every time with it.

So i am after something a bit smaller – enough for a 2-3hr ride. So it doesnt need to have too much space, just enough for some small tools/jacket 20xmars bars etc. and 2l reservoir would be fine.

I saw the camelback charge on CRC here

but i’ve also read good things about osprey packs. Anyone got a recommendation?

cheers

timmys

I love my Charge LR. Compared to my previous old skool Camelback it feels like you are wearing nothing. Can’t say I’ve tested its ability to hold 20 mars bars though 😯

hammyuk
    Free Member

Kriega Hydropac 😉

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    jonnyrockymountain

really like my shimano unzen 6

mrmo
    Free Member

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/camelbak-hydrobak/rp-prod57087

I just make do with this for anything up to 3-4 hours. I hate having any weight on my back.

rocketman
    Free Member

Dakine Session is pretty good. Can get a fair bit of kit in it but its actual footprint is quite small. Works very well with one of those Hydrapak shape-shift reservoirs.

Camelbak Rogue is smaller but still carries 2L and a few odds’n’sods

tinybits
    Free Member

I really like my charge LR, I don’t take a huge amount with me so it’s fine for all day rides for me. I had a rouge before that, which also was good and a smaller back foot print to the charge. I also got given a classic in a secret Santa which I’ve yet to use, but suspect it’ll be mainly in the road bike as my tools and tube are in an under seat pack.

missnotax
    Free Member

I really like Osprey packs – they have obviously been designed by someone who mountain bikes and have all the features you didn’t know you needed until they were there 😉

I have switched to a Raven (female specific) 14 and in fact I wouldn’t use anything else now! Highly recommended!

jasonm945
    Free Member

Lobo? Merlin have the charge a wee bit cheaper but 2013 model

deluded
    Free Member

I’ve had my Lobo for 7 years and it’s been great. Unobtrusive with enough space for ride essentials.

dh
    Free Member

thanks peeps.

Del

take a look at the osprey ‘lumbar’ packs ( bum bags to you and me ). i use one of these all the time now. really nicely made and plenty of room. having a pack covering your back in the summer blows goats.

zerocool

I have a Fox one, think it’s called the Oasis, It’s pretty old now but they do a newer version. Totally recommend them. Think I picked mine up cheaper from an MX website but I’ve seen them in bike shops.

Tom KP

dh
    Free Member

thats nice for the summer del for sure. an old fashioned “fanny pack” as the yanks call it.

JAG

I have an Osprey rucksack and I love it. Lot’s of storage and pockets and cleverly thought out. It also holds a 3 litre bladder – although that is very heavy when full 😯

My only complaint is that it is difficult to get properley clean. You can pick off the lumps of mud but it seems to leave a stain behind until you soak it in water. But that may just be the Cotswold mud – it is quite yellow!

stumpy01

Osprey Syncro 10 gets my vote…

GHill

I have an Osprey Raptor 6 and like it. Not tried anything else of the same size though.

mactheknife

There wad a wingnut pack on the classifieds recently and i would not use anything else, they sit low on your back and feel very comfortable, you can also get into the side pockets without taking it off.

http://www.wingnutgear.com/

clubber
    Free Member

I have a Camelbak Octane XCT – it actually takes a 3L bladder but it’s really light and compact but still has space for all you need on a ride and two of the pockets are hip ones which makes them really convenient when out riding as you don’t have to take the pack off to get things.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/camelbak-octane-xct/rp-prod86754

gren
    Free Member

Charge LR suits me – most of my rides are around the 3hr mark and this swallows everything I need and more.

Used to have a Rogue and that was a little tight on space but fine if all you carry is spare tube/keys/phone/multi-tool

gogg
    Free Member

Hydrapak Soquel light, compact and the Turquoise one will match my Yeti if I ever get a modest win on the lottery.

singletracksurfer

Love my Wingnut Hyper 2.5 so comfy, low weight and out of the way, can swallow a fair bit if needed and the big hip pockets are great and can be accessed without taking the pack off which is sooo useful.

zelak999
    Free Member

I’m loving my Charge LR too. It’s weightless coming from a Mule and the weight distribution is spot on with the bladder round my waist. It’s perfect for 3-4 hour rides.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Smallish camelback recommendations (e.g. charge) or osprey maybe?’ is closed to new replies.