• This topic has 27 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Mark.
Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Small whinge about STW premium 'news' content
  • z1ppy

Any chance of being smarter with it? Say like this Example … no Peaty video for non-subscribers, fair enuff if this was a “Singletrack exclusive only video”, but no look a 2second search and I can see the video on Pinkbike without subscribing… So why make it a subscriber only on here?
    This isn’t the 1st time by a long way, same can be said with the big event coverage (though a quick glance at your eurobike coverage seem better than previous stuff), load of info/pictures freely available on other sites but none on here unless your a subscriber.

Then there your Facebook feed, what do I get?.. links to subscriber only content. How is this raising your profile via FB, if only subscriber can see it? Shirely you should be trying to bring ppl in via FB, so everything on there should be viewable, so ppl share it and get ppl coming back to STW

I’m not objecting to subscriber only content for stuff generated by STW, but otherwise hows about being a bit smarter with the rest of it?
    Electronic media has so much potential to raise your profile, if used smartly..
    Maybe a bit of “web awareness” training is required by the staffers? (which is sad for a magazine that grew from a website)

Sorry, just need to gripe about that – MOVE ALONG

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Stump up and get a ‘P’ next to your name, then you’ll see what the fuss is about.

It’s a bit like getting to use the ‘excutive toilets’, you think it’s just a cleaner, shinier lav, but then when you get access, there’s the dancing girls, free bar, unlimted food, the free bikes, etc.

z1ppy

Have you read my post?
    I really have no issue with premier content which is exclusive, but stuff that freely available elsewhere being touted as Premier content?

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Tongue in cheek reply from me, but how do you know what you’re actually missing if you can’t see it?

STATO
    Free Member

Its annoying to click through a link on the front page only to find its premier only, could do with a notice (P?) in the header/title.

BobaFatt
    Free Member

Have to say, it’s a little annoying when a story is posted to your facebook feed then when you go to read it it’s only for premier users.

z1ppy

Ok I did think the dancing girl thing maybe not the most serious, especially as I searched for them using “P” demo/taster over christmas.
    The story in my example says “This Is Peaty – Hafjell Worlds 2014 Helmet Cam”, so unless editing really has gone out the windows, I’d kind of expect a video (or link to a peaty vid)

Anyway I’ve got it off my chest now, so breath and move on.

sandwicheater

I though the ‘P’ meant I could pee in the street when ever I choose. You mean I also get to see video’s widely available else where? Brilliant!

STATO
    Free Member

The story in my example says “This Is Peaty – Hafjell Worlds 2014 Helmet Cam”, so unless editing really has gone out the windows, I’d kind of expect a video (or link to a peaty vid)

Yeah, when i see news articles like this ive given up even clicking links now and just go over to pinkbike, youtube or similar to find them, as you know its likely going to be premier only so a waste of time to even click.

Mark

I’m confused. There’s no premier only restrictions on that peaty story. It was a news item. We don’t premier only news stories.

As for Facebook, the vast majority of our posts on there are to highlight news stories over here. news stories are NOT premier only. when we do use Facebook to highlight a premier only story (usually a review) those posts ALWAYS start with the words, ‘Subscribers!’.. So we signpost everything.

DezB
    Free Member

We also get a free magazine through the letterbox every month! Ha!

Mark

I’m very confused because nothing of what zippy has described is actually the case. We’d never put any content that is freely available elsewhere behind the Premier paywall. As for smart use of the web, we have won awards for that and we have the second biggest facebook following of ANY cycling facebook page (390k Facebook likes)

z1ppy

Well Mark, theres no video on that page a far as I can see, and as above get STW feed that make no mention of Subscribers – as I know there no point in clicking on them. Admittely looking at your feed directly on FB, there lot more on there atm than I get posted to my feed. Happy to send you a screen print but you should be able to see the same by logging out…

verses

As a man with no P (erm…) I can see the vid in z1ppy’s example.

z1ppy

… bizarre?

Mark

Zippy. You have a problem at your end. That video is an embedded link directly to Youtube I promise you. If there was content that was premier only there would be a HUGE label over the top of it saying ‘Premier Content’. Plus there would be a big ‘P’ logo on the featured image of the story on the front page.. Plus the whole story itself would not be listed in the ‘News’ section but in the ‘Premier Stories’ section further down the page.

I guess we could look to make the Premier logo flash and maybe add some sound effects to help signpost it more clearly? I’m thinking in a Phoenix Nights stylee… “Get back you non-premier bastard! I’ll break yer legs!”

Would that help? 😉

Drac

Ok logged out and.

z1ppy

Well OK I can accept that, has been bugging me (hense thread).. so shall investigate.

iain1775
    Free Member

DezB – Member
    We also get a free magazine through the letterbox every month! Ha!

and 12 months anticipating that the parcel the postie is delivering could be the mythical promised free subscribers gift (that never turns up)

Drac

and 12 months anticipating that the parcel the postie is delivering could be the mythical promised free subscribers gift (that never turns up)

Have you con acted the Subs team? Give them a ring with you account details.

amedias
    Free Member

Well OK I can accept that, has been bugging me (hense thread).. so shall investigate.

You should also probably thank STW (and the Mods) for responding to your gripe so quickly, investigating and attempting to troubleshoot the problem for you for free 😉

iain1775
    Free Member

to be honest Drac reading this thread has only just reminded me I never received it or the premier card so have fired off an email
    looking at my subscriber number I suspect they re-activated my old sub rather than a new one even though it had expired a year previous

Drac

They’ll check for you and if it’s the case then they’ll sort you out, sorry you never received one hopefully you’ll be sorted soon.

brassneck

I guess we could look to make the Premier logo flash and maybe add some sound effects to help signpost it more clearly? I’m thinking in a Phoenix Nights stylee… “Get back you non-premier bastard! I’ll break yer legs!”

I’m all over this!

Mark

That’s what we do Iain – if you are a lapsed subscriber we just update your old record. The system still fires out a free gift if you have lapsed more than 3 months tho so I suspect it was lost in the post. But we will sort it out for you now you have made contact with us via email, because now we know it’s missing we can fix it – as opposed to not knowing for the last year that there was actually a problem to be fixed 😉

Drac

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlP7l8vkNOk[/video]

iain1775
    Free Member

cheers 🙂
    just for the record it wasnt ‘for the last year’
    initial comment was tongue in cheek as the same thing happened last time I subscribed, about 5 years ago, I wasn’t to bothered about the gift so never chased it that time (I seem to recall at the time it happened to quite a few people there was a bit of a running joke about it on the forum)

Mark

No problem 🙂

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Small whinge about STW premium 'news' content’ is closed to new replies.