Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Small / Tiny Compact Camera that is half decent?
  • geoffj

The camera on my phone isn’t cutting it anymore, but I want something as small as possible.
    What;s worth a look?

DezB
    Free Member

Depends how much you’re spending.. Canon S series is tiny and take great photos

geoffj

<£200 would be good

Cougar

IXUS.

ampthill

My Ixus is in some ways better than my phone. But its not a slam dunk. The colour is off in some of my IXUS shots

There will be bargains about soon as the new larger sensor cameras hit the market

Look out for Olympus XZ2, Panasonic LX7 and Canon s cameras

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

I’m selling my Lumix TZ10 that is almost as small as the dinky RX100 that is replacing it (need the larger sensor for stock agencies) for half yr budget if interested. Very nice camera with 12x optical Leica zoom, GPS, video, stereo mic etc.

Agree with others re Canon S series too.

scotroutes

TZ series is generally pretty sound. I have an older TZ7 that I “replaced” with a TZ40 last year. Let me know if you want to have a look at/play around with it next time you’re in the area.

greasyrider
    Free Member
    stevomcd
    Free Member

malvern rider – could be keen on your Lumix, drop me an email: stevo at whiteroomchalet dot com.

cp

I find the tz series a bit plasticky, and find Panasonic cameras in general not that well built.

Canon ixus are excellent, but are pretty much fully auto.

I’ve recently got an Olympus xz 10. Its blimmin brilliant, and only 120 at amazon at the moment. Very fast lens, very solid metal construction, good menu structure, very fast AF, and very good picture quality.

Cougar

You can get custom firmware for many of the IXUSes which give you a load of manual control.

Cougar

Thus,

http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK

(Sorry for the delay, was out and about.)

geoffj

Thanks all. Plenty to think about.

grizedaleforest

+1 for the Panasonic Lumix series. I’m using a TZ40 which I’ve found fantastic. I think it’s pretty robust too. I drove off with it on the roof of the car a few weeks ago; fell off onto tarmac at about 10mph and still working OK…I think 🙂

ampthill

You can get a custom firmware for an IXUS provided you can find a build for your exact firmware version

You won’t know if its possible until after you have bought the camera

officerfriendly
    Free Member

[insert comment about thread hijacking) pardon my asking, but does anyone know what the difference between the Canon S and IXUS range is? Curious as I’ve got an s100 myself (very good might I add! Downside is the battery…)

andy8442
    Free Member

Canon S110 if you can find one. Canon brought out the S120 to replace it, but the older version is almost identical and £100 cheaper.

Defender
    Free Member

I have an Olympus SZ31MR, 16Mp, 24x optical zoom, 3″ screen.
    It’s pocket sized & gives great results, it’s my grab ‘n’ go camera.

Kahurangi

Canon S110 if you can find one. Canon brought out the S120 to replace it, but the older version is almost identical and £100 cheaper.

S120 does f1.8 8)

Both are good.

ampthill

ardon my asking, but does anyone know what the difference between the Canon S and IXUS range is?

The s range has a faster lens

The s range can shoot RAW (crucial for me)

The S range allows aperture control

The range has a larger sensor and is better at high iso

(hmm how come i have an IXUS?)

officerfriendly
    Free Member

@Ampthill, thank you! 🙂

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Small / Tiny Compact Camera that is half decent?’ is closed to new replies.