Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Small rucksack recomendations….
  • matt_outandabout

Eldest_oab’s birthday soon.

He needs a good sized pack for riding, ideally one that could expand for a walking day pack as well. Riding 15+ lt, walking 20+ lt. We have a Salomon that is 8-15lt and is fantastic fit and function, but too small.

So far I am struggling for one that would do both well at ‘reasonable’ cost, it may be a case of buying more bags – we already have too many!

Budget upto £50, possibly more for the right bag.

Suggestions?

MadBillMcMad

how about an alpkit gourdon

Gourdon 20

BadlyWiredDog

Osprey Talon 22 maybe? Over budget I know, but nice packs and work for biking and walking.

stumpy01

I’ve got the old version of this bag – Vaude Splash 20+5 and it’s pretty good.
    It has changed a bit, so perhaps can’t really comment on the specifics of the latest design but my one has plenty of pockets, the expandable bit is useful, the mesh back keeps sweaty back syndrome at bay and it comes with a rain cover. Oh, and it must be 6 or 7 years old now & is still in really good condition – they are well made.
    Ah, just remembered, the straps are adjustable for size by way of a large Velcro tab that runs up the back – it adjusts whereabouts the pack sits on your back and so probably allows for a growing kid.

http://www.trekkinn.com/outdoor-mountain/vaude-splash-20-5-hydro-blue/1236803/p?utm_source=google_products&utm_medium=merchant&id_producte=1294056&country=uk&gclid=CLC0la6XmskCFUgTwwodnWgJmQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

More pics on their website:

http://www.vaude.com/en-GB/Products/Backpacks/Bike-Backpacks/Splash-20-5-coconut.html

ahsat

+1 for the Osprey. I’ve used mine for both biking and walking when we havent taken walking rucksacks as well. Some people dont like the stiff backs though.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Decathlon do some seriously good bags for very little cash that will fit that role perfectly.

matt_outandabout

I had forgotten about Decathlon….

The Ospreys are good, a few options there – but none that are ‘extendable’.

I have an ancient Vaude that refuses to call it a day, superbly built and comfy – and as well as the splash I discovered the Hyper at lunch. hmmm.

Tracey

We have the older version of the Vaude Wizard 18 + 4. Works well for biking hiking and boarding

finbar
    Free Member

JanSport are guaranteed for life. I’m about to send mine back to fix a broken zip after eleven years hard labour (!).

dumbbot
    Free Member

Deuter ACT Trail24

http://www.deutergb.co.uk/products/hiking/act-trail-24/

Get is here with the added code EXTRA15 at checkout brings the price to £54.52

http://www.milletsports.co.uk/more-sports/outdoor/rucksacks/deuter-act-trail-24-backpack-2015

I’ve been using this for biking and hiking(a slightly older model)…hydration system, raincover super-adjustable carry straps/hip-belt.. this sits really well on your back, whatever the load.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Last one I bought was a Lowe Alpine. Very good for the money. Hydration compatible. Whistle on chest strap. Great quality.

dknwhy

Karrimor hot rock 30? I’ve got the older model and it’s been going strong for a couple of years. Use it mainly for walking. My version has side pockets which the new one doesn’t seem to have anymore…

matt_outandabout

Cheers all – the Vaudes look good, if not Decathlon are so cheap I can buy three…!

sv

I just bought a Low Alpine Edge 2, lovely bag:

Low Alpine link

Edit: think there is an 18litre option too.

TiRed

I love my Deuter Race air exp. Only 15 to 18 litres but sits off the back and has good mesh pockets for bottles or tools. I use it for commuting with a laptop, mtb riding and everything else. It’s superb.

robcolliver
    Free Member

OMM Last Drop rucksack is 10litre, the lightest you can buy and if you customise it and it falls apart, they will send you another one.
    Space for a 2l bladder and side pockets that fit your bear-spray.

Whats not to like?

dufresneorama
    Free Member

+1 for the Lowe Alpine edge2 (22L)

I’ve always likes Lowe Alpine stuff, and their bags are excellent. The edge2 comes in 18L and 22L i believe and in an XL size – long back for those taller folks. Picked mine up for £20 a couple of weeks back.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Maxpedition Pygmy Falcon

AlexSimon

aphex_2k – Member

Maxpedition Pygmy Falcon
    Great name – I expected it to be a joke.

I wasn’t disappointed 😉

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Small rucksack recomendations….’ is closed to new replies.