Viewing 3 posts - 41 through 43 (of 43 total)
  • Small Pointless rant – Sketchup
  • thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

tinas – i always thought you were an engineer..?

Yup, but we have offices full of CAD darfters, we just have to sketch out what we want and sent it off 🙂

Tinas I know exactly what you are describing. Were you thinking a plug or a cap?

Plug.

I reckon it can be made strong enough, the prototype failed because it really was a bodge, I drilled the original ‘plug’ and split it, then gued it arorund the shaft of the joint, so it was pretty crude. If I did it properly the whole thing would sit inside the tiler so that most of the loads were just compressiing it against the sides rather than trying to shear it off.

Whether you use depose or frittage it will break if your bodge broke.

I have no idea what you’re talking about, we’re outside my sphere of work. I picked 3D prnting as it’s relatively cheap to have a one-off bit made, I don’t think in this case the loads are particularly high. Machining it from a block of something would probably be better, but would be yet another thing to do instead of just e-mialing a file to someone with a 3D printer.

I suppose an alternative would be to just make it out of layers of ~4mm acrylic sheet glued together.

In fact I might just do that as another ‘prototype’.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Is there enough flex to allow the tiller extension to pass backwards across the transom?

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

I find it useful to mock up ideas and then move them around and look from different directions. I used it to calculate the materials for the shed, tub and sauna. I don’t think I could use it for anything complex or requiring accurate measurements though.

And the nearly finished result looks similar (apart from roof angle where I forgot to measure garage roof level before drawing)

Viewing 3 posts - 41 through 43 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Small Pointless rant – Sketchup’ is closed to new replies.