Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • small or medium frame?
  • goodie
    Free Member

im looking at buying a Giant XTC
    i am 5′ 10″ with 30″ inside leg
    my crutch was just touching the top tube when stood over it on the large
    better clearance on the medium but felt like i was stretching from seat to stem on both. small was not available in store but a medium talon with 57″ tob tube (small XTC has 57.5) was, that fitted like a glove!
    would a small XTC be too small for me check the measurements below & give advice please
    XTC

TALON

thanks in advance

rs
    Free Member

at 5’10” which i am too, I’d usually say a medium would be about right, you can always put on a shorter stem or move the seat forward a bit, buy an inline post.

goodie
    Free Member

im torn
    i can get small or large 2009 XTC2 for £650 or a medium 2010 XTC2 for £770, £650 is much more appealling but not at the expense of a wrong sized frame
    standover height is stated as 76.1cm on small XTC & 30″ inside leg is 76.2?

goodie
    Free Member

can anyone else give an educated opinion?

andyl
    Free Member

I am about the same as you and ride a 15″ merlin and a 16″ on one.

The Merlin is too short for me in the top tube (but the stand over is excellent) and is running a 90mm stem (don’t like going longer) and a layback saddle moved as far back as I can.

Geometry here: http://www.marchini.co.uk/Rock%20Lobster%20and%20Merlin%20frame%20Geometry.pdf

The On One has a much longer top tube at 600mm effective but still a nice amount of standover. I run that with a 70mm stem and an inline post.

As long as you can stand over the medium okay that will probably be best if you like a short stem. I would rather go shorter stem than fit a long stem.

You seem to prefer the small but I would just worry about feeling cramped on it after while as I now do on my Merlin with a similar 57mm top tube.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘small or medium frame?’ is closed to new replies.