Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Small laptops/netbooks, Samsung NC10 still the best?
  • midlifecrashes

Mrs midlife seems to be spending a lot of time on the East Coast Mainline these days, wants a small light laptop to work on. Googling suggests the Samsung could be the best, especially with long battery life. Any others as good? Cheers.

bear-uk
    Free Member

NC10 is a great little machine. It has a user interface that’s just the right size, the smaller versions are a bit awkward. Great battery life, built in webcam. + the blue one is very cool.

geoffj

I use mine mostly on the east coast mainline – it’s perfect. The long battery life is perfect. Even better with mac os x installed on it!
    She consider a 3g dongle as well, because natexpress free wifi can be a bit flakey.

showerman
    Free Member

like mine lots once pulled out of the wifes vice like grip, looky here a bit nerdy but they seem to want to help http://www.sammynetbook.com/plugins/forum/forum.php

househusband

Even better with mac os x installed on it!

Does OS X install without any modding?

Ta.

geoffj

Does OS X install without any modding?

The basic install goes on easy enough. You then need to add a couple of bits for screen brightness and headphone / speaker switching. Oh and you need to change the wifi card (£15 off ebay) to get the wireless working. Tis very very good though once its all working.

bear-uk
    Free Member

Got my NC10 off ebyer.com along with a 2 gig memory module.

smogmonster

I have the EEEPC 901, which is great as well, perhaps not as stylish, but has 7 hour battery life, and a great screen. I havent seen the Samsung though, so id say whichever is cheaper is better. Upto you of course.

cranberry
    Free Member

Take a look at a 2nd hand IBM X60 on Ebay, excellent build quality and a nice, capable little machine. With the extended battery you’ll get 5 plus hours of surfing/emailing/light usage.

I picked mine up for 330 quid.

Lootenant
    Free Member

I have the EEEPC 901, which is great as well, perhaps not as stylish, but has 7 hour battery life, and a great screen.

Second that..running Linux rather than Windoze. The default Xandros install can be replaced with UbuntuEEE – which looks a lot nicer – if you want to but straight out of the box it all just works.

eth3er
    Free Member

i’m running windoze 7 on mine. great thing it is.

midlifecrashes

Thanks all, looks like we’re going for the nc10 in pink! XP is important for running work case management software and familiarity.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Small laptops/netbooks, Samsung NC10 still the best?’ is closed to new replies.