Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Small Kids pedalling bikes
  • cbike
    Free Member

Ridgeback MX16, Belter Bike etc? Crivvens the prices! What do you recommend? Sub £150 preferably. Anyone getting rid of similar for a 3.5 year old getting to stage he needs pedals? PM me.

Although he may well be 7 by the time his behaviour improves to justify such a transport upgrade!

peabrain
    Free Member

You could probably get a second hand Islabike ( Cnoc 14 or 16 depending on size) for that price. Facebook page for buying and selling Islabikes

Ridgebacks are good but a 16 might be a bit big for a 3.5 year old. Belters are also fairly large. Have you looked at Frog bikes?

My son was very small when he started riding a pedal bike. For his second birthday we upgraded from a BSO Noddy bike to a Specialized Hotrock 12. That was OK, but I wasn’t terribly impressed so I went the custom build route!

coatesy
    Free Member

A friend of mine bought a used MX16 for their daughter for £65, quite a nice bike once set up properly (wheels trued, brakes aligned, bearings adjusted etc), now being replaced by an MX20 that’s as new, and cost £80.You could easily spend a lot more (we’re selling kid’s bikes for £170-350ish), without any major gain, and let’s face the facts here, colour is far more important to them, weight/components/build quality etc is far more about satisfying dad’s wants.

matt_outandabout

Second hand all the way.

I was at a friends house yesterday who was the beneficiary of my tip find Kona 16″ wheeled bike. Cost so far has been a pair of new cables, pair of tyres and rear dérailleur….ripping.

redhairjon
    Free Member

Morning to all the singletrack world parents who have been up for over an hour already!

We bought little redhairjon a belter for his 4th birthday. With everything dropped to the minimum, it fits him quite well, with lots of room to grow. I am really pleased with the bike, it is light, brakes are really good – designed for little hands. This gives him (and us) confidence.

m0rk
    Free Member

Popped into a shop to answer is question yesterday (when buying my wife a bike too)

Turns out my 3.5yr old is bang on size for an MX14, but not for £140

eBay, £35 BIN in need of bar end plugs. I’m a convert to second hand as I know I’ll nearly double my money when I sell it

garage-dweller

We had a Hotrock. Has worn really well and the back pedal brake allows a lot more braking force than a hand operated one at the expense of being a little harder to get them started. Untouched maintenance wise and no 2 had been on it for some months now.

Had a saracen bolt 16 after for big one. Good but has seen harder service and more maintenance.

Now on a frog 20 which is a lovely piece of kit. The small ones look great too. Our lbs had only started doing these more recently.

monkeychild
    Free Member

Bought my eldest an MX 16 second hand off here. It’s a damn fine bike for kiddies. I will be hunting for an MX20 when he’s outgrown it.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

My son currently has an MX16, and he has just had a Frog for his next bike. He isn’t confident on the Frog yet, so he still rides the MX16

The MX16 will be up for sale at some point, I just can’t say when at the min

jkomo

I got a 20” tip bike, just inflated the tyres, swapped the brakes round (it’s a huffy, American job, prob from local airbase)
    Serviced the hubs, all smooth, Recabled and sprayed matt black, as it was a little girly.
    I think it’s missing a seat post now as I pinched a nut off it.
    But if you can collect from North Oxfordshire, you can have it.
    It’s seven speed, grip shift. Would do until something posher comes up, my lads used it happily for a couple of years, before we went Islabike.

hanchurch
    Free Member

I’ve got a Scott Voltage (12″ wheels) with removable stabilisers for sale in good condition, just needs new pedals.

wiggles
    Free Member

Frog bikes are great for around £200 dependent on size. Light well made and thought out bikes.

monkeychild
    Free Member

*keeps a note of Funkydunc* I have a 4 year old who will require one.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Small Kids pedalling bikes’ is closed to new replies.