Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • Small kids and high temperature. Help needed.
  • scaredypants

hairy –

(Google says calvepen is penicillin v)
    That’s no more “strong” or harmful than amoxicillin (and arguably it’s a better choice for throats too)
    Isn’t magic though and (even if this is bacterial and sensitive to the penicillin) it’ll be a few days before she’s right; the antibiotic is there more to prevent complications than to make the sore throat better any faster. (if it’s genuinely a severe tonsillitis, that’ll be a few more days).

She has a very sore throat and so doesn’t want to swallow stuff – don’t fret about not eating. See if you can get her to drink something like milk if she won’t eat soft food. Those sugar-free lollies are quite good value too, I think (help keep her throat lubricated when she swallows)

re ibuprofen: I stick by what I said: if she needs it (to control temp), I’d rather give both that and paracetamol than risk a febrile convulsion (I’d still call them rare/unlikely, but are certainly possible). Only time I WOULDN’T give ibuprofen regularly would be if she’s not drinking & getting dry – if she’s peeing plenty, that’s OK.

If you want to be posh, weigh her (should be about 16kg or so if she’s 4) and give her 7.5mg for every kilo of her weight (so, about 120mg or probably 6ml if it’s 100mg in 5ml) 4 times a day. Alternative would be 10mg per kg three times a day (about 160mg or probably 8ml per dose)

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

She’ll still need the nurofen (ibuprofen) for pain releif if the tonsilitis is that bad. Eating will come back as the infection comes under control, but it will take probably 48 hours for the penicillin to take effect. Glad your doc has given 10 days, 5 or 7 day courses are generally useless as a rip roaring strep throat needs 10 days penicillin to sort it. Hardest thing can be getting it done 30 to 60 minutes before food, as it doesn’t absorb well if the stomach is full.

Ice lollys are often a good way of getting fluids into a kid who isn’t drinking, as well as soothing a sore throat.

scaredypants

She’ll still need the nurofen (ibuprofen) for pain releif if the tonsilitis is that bad

well, there’s a few reports of acute renal failure in dry kids given nsaids so I’d like to see some wee ( 😳 )

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Hairychested
    Free Member

She took her Nurofen (a small half-spoon dose) some 2 hrs ago and went to sleep soon afterwards. The temperature is already down, she’s sweating but sound asleep with her Mummy. She’s a tough cookie, will pull through no problems. It’s the adults in our household who need to MTFU/WTFU it seems.
    She had her fresh strawberries, some strawberry juice, a handful of cereals as nice and crispy. She’s probably just detoxing before Christmas 😉

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

🙂

Drac

Dehydration is a contraindication for me to prescribe ibuprofen as it can cause renal problems. Give the antibiotics they’re not out as routinely as scaremingerers like to make out, if the special care baby unit had held back penicillin on my youngest she’d not be here now.

Hairychested
    Free Member

She’s doing well, the medications seem to be working. No temperature, she’s lively as hell. Poor cat, all the lost play time is being made up for.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Hairy – glad your kid is ok. Poorly kids are scary.

MF. Read Missingfrotallobes quote from the BNF. That is the best info you will get.

Ibuprofen is up to 4 times daily in children. Fact. Your propitiatory nurofen might say less frequent out of caution but the BNF is the definitive answer.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

TJ – I fully accept that *ON MEDICAL ADVICE* that it can be taken more regularly if the dose is adjusted for weight.

I was simply relaying the *standard* advice for the *standard dose* as advised on the product labels.

If you are happy to give specific medical advice to people over the internet based on the limited knowledge you can get then good on you but, as an uninformed member of the public, I am more comfortable with relaying *standard* advice for the correct *standard* regularity of dosing.

Hairychested
    Free Member

TJ, thanks.
    MF, spot on.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

MF – the BNF sets the standards. Thats what it is.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Well TJ, go tell the makers of Nurofen that their labelling advice is wrong then.

And whilst you are at it, read my post too.

Drac

Over the counter medicines have lower recommended doses than the Bnf usually says. Stick with the manufacturer instruction unless you have medical expertise or spoke properly to a medical expert. My advice on here is just that advice I can be fairly safe with most stuff asked on here but there’s only ever one way to know for sure and that’s direct contact.

theotherjonv

Don’t underestimate the usefulness of one with the antihistamine in too (can’t for the life of me remember it – edit remembered it; MEDISED!). Knocks my two out good and proper for the night, and a decent night’s sleep while the treatment really starts to work is not to be underestimated.

I was dosing myself with scaled up doses of it when I had mild pneumonia 4 christmasses ago.

Recommended.

IANAD

Spongebob
    Free Member

JEEZ! I can’t believe some people!

If your child is sick, get off your PC and look after her!

Heed the advice of the medical professional you saw and take no notice whatsoever of so called medical experts posting on this forum!

I do know that very high temperatures can be very dangerous, especially in young children, so keep an close eye on this and seek proper professional advice. I know from when my two were little that the situation can change very suddenly with infants.

If in doubt and a doctor is not available, get her into a hospital.

I hope she get better soon!

Hairychested
    Free Member

SpongeBob, as I have already written she’s getting better. At the moment it’s TJ and MF who are trading keyboard punches.
    Thanks for commonsense approach, really 🙂

Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘Small kids and high temperature. Help needed.’ is closed to new replies.