Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Small HiFi
  • YoKaiser
    Free Member

I’ve got a few things in the basket to make up a small HiFi for the bedroom.

SMSL Tripath amp SA-36A
    Roth Audio RA1 speakers
    3.5 – RCA leads.

Anyone see any problems with this set up? I’m happy enough looking around mid range systems but the small amp and speakers are new to me. I’m also thinking of a Bluetooth receiver as a later addition, maybe one with a DAC. I’ll be plugging in a phone or may utilise an ipod touch and fill it full of uncompressed music. If sucessful I’d like to get a simialr set up for the kitchen.

Any thoughts?

simon_g

Why not go with active monitors instead?

cdoc
    Free Member

Pretty similar to my portable speaker thing that I made for festivals and beach trips. Bloody good, those wee tripath amps! Cheap, great sound and can be powered by 8AA batteries, too!

Really like the idea of a bluetooth input, had not really thought about that.

Del

I’m also thinking of a Bluetooth receiver as a later addition, maybe one with a DAC. I’ll be plugging in a phone or may utilise an ipod touch and fill it full of uncompressed music.

chromecast audio. there’s a thread.

drewd

Speaker cable? That seems like everything to me.

I’ve just taken delivery of an SMSL SA-36A amp today. I also got a 2 phono to 3.5mm cable and some speaker cable to link up to an existing pair of speakers and a Chromecast Audio for the kitchen. It’s replacing a cheap wired active speaker that I was using, and sounds OK for the money.

I take it you have seen the Chromecast Audio PSA thread. If I didn’t already have 2 I would have picked up another. I opted for it over a bluetooth receiver, and it works well with the small amp footprint.

EDIT Too slow ^^

YoKaiser
    Free Member

simon_g I’m not too familiar with active speakers, looked into them before but its almost a whole new ball game of manufacturers.

cdoc that is top bodgery

Del/drewd I’ve had a look over the chromecast thread in a bit more detail, could be a goer. I’ll have a look and see if its a better option over a Bluetooth/dac.

CountZero

For a system like that, why bother with uncompressed music? You’ll never hear any improvement over 320Kb variable bit rate AAC, it’s almost impossible to hear any difference using expensive IEM’s, so 320Kb will be perfectly OK, and you’ll get a lot more music into the device as well.
    That does look like a nifty little setup, very neat.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

The uncompressed files was more a move to more digital sources. I’m probably a good few years behind the times when it comes to this stuff, my iTunes library is from yore and a lot of the files are 128. A PC upgrade and possibly starting again ripping everything was also on the cards. But I agree, the system is probably a bit low tech to really hear any difference and as a bedroom system is not really needed either.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Small HiFi’ is closed to new replies.