Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Small hands
  • mtbtom
    Free Member

My girlfriend has started riding off-road with me (difficult to curb my enthusiasm… but woohooo! 😀 ).

She’s getting sore hands, mostly at the base of the thumb. She has small hands and I suspect she’s hyper-extending her thumb to change gear. It’s not helped by the fact that she can’t reach the brakes properly so has to use two fingers.

Have got some slimmer grips to put on and am thinking of ordering a set of Shimano SLX brakes which can be adjusted for reach. Any one got any advice on what to do about the shifters? Currently they’re Shimano Acera.

Thanks.

dovebiker

Put some SuGru ‘extensions’ on the shifter?

tomhughes46

I’m pretty dwarf like, and don’t have this issue, but thinking about it, I generally move my hands around if I’m using the ‘paddles’ (Low gear rear, and definitely big ring). Could she try this?

Winding brake levers in and moving controls is pretty helpful too

notsospeedydaz
    Free Member

Grip shifters?

cloudnine
    Free Member

Different brake levers like XT have adjustable pull so you can just turn a screw and they are much closer to the bars..
    Also either gripshifts or different shifters.. Saints have a longer lever if that might help..

alexpalacefan

Same here. Rotate the shifter on the bar so the thumb paddle is closer to the rider

APF

slowoldman

One or two fingers are generally considered enough aren’t they?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Small hands’ is closed to new replies.