Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • small family tent options
  • akira

Heading to mayhem with all the family, two adults, two six year olds and a one year old. Need a decent small but comfortable tent, any recommendations?

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

What’s the budget and berth requirements?

First off I’d suggest Vango Odyssey 400

vermillion
    Free Member

A tent is only as comfortable as what you are lying on and how waterproof it is.
    A large tent that you can stand up in and has a decent sized living area is best for families,, especially when it’s raining but this is not what you’re asking for.
    Be careful of reviews too. I bought a Coleman tent based on great review but it turned out to be terrible, it wasn’t cheap either.

Bit of a minefield is tent buying, hope you find a good one.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    akira

Yeah if its rubbish weather I’m going on my own I believe! So ideally don’t need anything to big, Decathlon have a few decent looking ones but it is a bit pot luck.

lee170
    Free Member

We have an outwell Nevada m, great tent

bros
    Free Member

Vango Eos 350 is a really nice tent that should fit you guys and it’s not too expensive. It’s only available at GoOutdoors so you have to buy their card thing too unfortunately.

I’ve got one and it’s really good. The porch has a groundsheet that keeps all puddles out when the inevitable rains come.

If you put a double inflatable mattress in, there might not be that much room for the kids though.

iainc

there is a huge variety in price, with reasonable quality ones from Go Outdoors, from not much over £100 in their deals, to more like £300 plus for an Outwell. I bought a 5 person Vango one (Vango Wenture 500) from Go Outdoors 5 yrs ago, for £80, and it does a couple of car camping weekends a year and is still watertight and sturdy.

dknwhy

I’ve had a load of different tents over the years and now wouldn’t buy a family tent from anywhere else but decathlon any more. They have a really good 2 year warranty so if it leaks, you can chuck it back.
    That being said, the 2 we have are excellent and haven’t let in a drop of water. The quick pitch tents are brilliant for family trips. We mainly use them for overnights/weekends.

I do have a larger Vango one too (Orchy 500) but it’s such a pain to put up and take down compared to the pop-up ones that I barely use it.

martinhutch

Get one with a decent sized porch you can stand up in. You won’t regret it.

midlifecrashes

Decathlon ones have been great here too. Family and girl guide use.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

+1 for Decathlon, we have a vis-vis 4 berth, was 90 in a sale, flipping amazing bargain, front flap doubles as shade, enough dining area for a small table of four, and storage at the front sides, stood up to torrential rains even fairly harsh winds. Don’t know what model it is but they change so often.

ericemel
    Free Member

I am currently looking at Soulpad tents for this purpose.

WackoAK
    Free Member

^This, if it’s for fair weather conditions then the decathlon ones will be good value.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

*Edit – seems our Decathlon vis a vis style tent is still sold (with only minor modifications from what I can see) as the ‘Arpenaz 4.2’. And only 99 squid. Bargain I say. Another 80 gets you the XL version.

Also favour bell tents, prefer canvas, prefer the easy pitch, niceand quiet in the rain, very stable etc – all positives, but they can take a lot of lugging and you have to keep on top of the cleaning and proofing unless it really is light use.

br
    Free Member

This.

After years of small tent camping me and a pal bought one of these. Best decision we made, whether they were just the two of us or five (it’ll sleep seven at a push) it is brilliant. Also made sure we went for something more than a ‘summer season’ model.

iainc

^^have always found camping with young kids that the tents with the bedroom at the end then a decent porch are better in our climate than the ones with a bedroom at each end and central area – less wet and mank gets into the sleeping areas and the porch bit tends to be more versatile in poor weather

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

I am currently looking at Soulpad tents for this purpose.

Got one, it’s great. Fitting the woodburner this weekend or next.
    fails on the “cheap” criterion though.

PhilAmon
    Free Member

I’m looking for a new tent too. What make and model is the one you’ve pictured br?

PhilAmon
    Free Member

Looks good, thanks!

LadyGresley
    Free Member

If you might use it on your own, check you can put it up on your own! Some of those big nylon ones would be a nightmare!

duncancallum

Ive a nevada M its a ace bit of kit.

bought a T$ now though!

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘small family tent options’ is closed to new replies.