Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Small digital camera advice
  • JoeBones
    Free Member

I need a new one, any advice, I have used Kodak in the past but the last one I got disappointed me.

Canon Ixus?

Panasonic?

Advice please?

fubar
    Free Member

I've been looking at the same cameras and haven't come to a conclusion…
    Ixus is so small I thought perhaps the image quality would suffer…but I read the Lumix reviews (Amazon) and a few people complain at the low light performance on those?!
    My criteria are that it needs to slip into a jeans pocket, perform well indoors / low light, family photos, optical image stabilisation.
    Hope somebody will be along to put us right.

JoeBones
    Free Member

My Brother is in the same predicament and he reckons the Lumix FS7 will be hard to beat.

He used to have an Ixus

oxnop
    Free Member

I sold all my DSLR gear a few months ago (wasn't getting much use out of it) and decided to buy a decent compact.

I've had a samsung NV10 (which was great until the lens mechanism packed up). I spent ages looking around for a suitable replacement – Fuji finepix 200exr. switchable sensor, upto 12800 ISO and a 28mm lens.

Its been faultless so far & you can pick one up for less than £200 now.

VooDoochild
    Free Member

Canon Powershot SX200

sturmey
    Free Member

Second the sx200 just bought one so mrs s can use it on manual and I can begin understanding how being able to alter settings changes the picture. reason for this is because I didn't want to go the whole hog of DSLR until I was sure what I was doing and Mrs S can use it at partys without it being too bulky .

Djnova
    Free Member

Hi, I’m looking for a new compact too, I was looking to spend nearer the £150 mark though.

Has anyone had any experience of the Fujifilm FX70 EXR? The specs look great and you can get one for £150 now.

steffybhoy
    Free Member

If u can stretch to £215 the Panasonic TZ7 is outstanding kit for the money!
    Awesome pictures, super 12x zoom, records HD video, 3 year warranty!
    Get it Here!

Blower
    Free Member

Im in same boat dunno what to buy yet..

Steffyboy,that's what i keep looking at,whats it like for action shots,shutter speed? and wonder how substantial it is with biking?

oxnop
    Free Member

DJnova – id sell my 2mth old 200EXR for £155 posted – brand new condition/boxed/manuals etc (im buying a GF1 kit for my holidays)

My email is in profile

sturmey
    Free Member

Looked at the TZ7 not much to choose between them but decided to go for the canon as it has more manual options and that was part of my criteria.

steffybhoy
    Free Member

'Blower'

I hav'nt used it much for action shots( has a sports mode with AF tracking options) used it against flying sea-king very good, bought it seeing review at mtbr, here

Blower
    Free Member

steffyboy will it do the job for biking shots though?

Blower
    Free Member

Ahh just read the review on the link you sent cheers..
    number 5 it is,the Olympus Stylus Tough 8000 beats it to number 3,and some casio at number 4

Northwind

I've got a TZ7 and I'm a big fan, especially because of the video quality, but it's not small. Basically whenever I'm using the longer zoom of the TZ or the video I'm glad I got it, but all the rest of the time I wish I'd got another Ixus- I had an 800ti which was absolutely superb, and the new ones are very similiar and half the size, very impresive.

Blower
    Free Member

Northwind,whats the 800ti?
    and was the Ixus- I andy good for video?

Northwind

Blower, it was just an 800IS in a titanium shell. Actually I think possibly all the UK-spec 800s were the same, mine was an import. Very nice bit of kit, my brother's off round the world with it for the second time, it's the main reason I'm so impressed with Canon- that thing's been dropped from a moving motorbike, filled with rain (in a waterproof pocket which I left open at the top, doh!), left in a muddy field on the west highland way overnight, covered in beer at a bad religion gig, filled with australian dust in a duststorm… It looks like **** but it still works perfectly.

(it had to go back to Canon once after the motorbike incident, the case broke- it was out of warranty and not really economic to repair, but they bodged it back together for me and sent it back with a note "Congratulations, we've never seen one of these broken like this before")

Now, I love my TZ7 but I'd happily guarantee that it won't withstand a tenth as much of that sort of abuse. The Ixus was OK for video, the mic wasn't up to much and it was fairly poor at night. The TZ is almost up to standalone home video camera quality, a wee bit less easy to use though. But still, it forgets it's a compact camera.

Blower
    Free Member

Cheers for reply northwind.im gonna go for the tz7 now deffo,you got case with yours for strapping onto camelback? memory card?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Fuji finepix 200exr

er, 865gm isn't exactly "small"….

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

I've used a Olympus Mju SW (shock & waterproof) for a couple of years, have tested both the shock & waterproofing, works well. Decent enough pictures for very little effort.

Northwind

Blower, I just use whatever memory cards I have lying around tbh, some sort of Sandisk ultras. For a case I use a Kriega Kube, it's a bit big but it works well and it's protective. There's probably better out there though.

M6TTF
    Free Member

If you can wait a few weeks the new tz8 is out – as the tz7 but a 2.7 screen instead of 3 but it has full manual mode

Blower
    Free Member

hmm tz7 will come down in price then..?
    just want a good case to strap it to camelback on shoulder.

CountZero

There's the Lumix FX-550, 12Mp, 5x zoom, face recog, and manual exposure. There will be a TZ-10 coming this yearwith 12x zoom and GPS for geotagging.

Djnova
    Free Member

oxnop – Member
    DJnova – id sell my 2mth old 200EXR for £155 posted – brand new condition/boxed/manuals etc (im buying a GF1 kit for my holidays)

My email is in profile

Thanks for the offer, but i don't fancy having a used camera, never sure how they have been treated. 🙂

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

never sure how they have been treated

honestly, most 2nd hand photo gear is very good – so long as you don't get it off me – my stuff is always seriously abused 🙂

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Small digital camera advice’ is closed to new replies.