Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • small day pack advice choices OMM Osprey
  • karnali
    Free Member

Looking for a new daypack for walking, mtbing when I need to carry lots of stuff for groups or the family, and general carrying stuff about, gym, days out with kids etc. Did have a 20 litre salomon and a 30 litre camelback which have both now split beyond repair.

I think I’ve narrowed it down to the OMM 25litre classic and the osprey talon 22

Anyone make any recommendations on either. I have a 13 litre osprey for general mtbing.

thanks

scotroutes

I have a 25L Kimmsac – forebear of the OMM. Must be 20 years old now? It’s been with me over most of the Munros and has never let me down.

Osprey are excellent too. I’d have no hesitation in buying either.

willard

I have a slightly larger Talon (33?) and think it’s a good pack. No experience of the OMM stuff, Osprey are pretty damned good.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Tracey

We bought the Osprey Escapist from Evans, think it was half price at the time, for the days when we needed something bigger.

https://www.evanscycles.com/osprey-escapist-backpack-25-EV221735

jugheaddave
    Free Member

Hi

What about something like this Helium 17l I am considering getting one for a general pack/bike touring bag.
    Not sure what the quality is like though

hairylegs
    Free Member

+1 for the Osprey Escapist.

Also have a Talon 33 which is excellent for walking/climbing but, imho, definitely no a bike pack whereas the Escapist most deffo is.

karnali
    Free Member

I’ve looked at the escapist but have a really strong dislike for the pocket on the shoulder strap, I could cut it off but seems a shame on a brand new pack. also the sm/med is only 23 litres in the 25 litre version hence looking at the talon looks less complicated.

Talon 33 looks good but I don’t think would work at all on the bike

thanks for the info so far.

JAG

I recommend the Osprey.

I have owned my Raptor 14L for 5 years now and it just works for everything MTB, holidays, hiking and everything else in between.

Within the last week I contacted Osprey to ask about buying a replacement for one of the buckles on my pack. I broke it when I took it on a plane as hand luggage.

They’ve sent me two free replacement buckles. So they get my recommendation 8)

sparkyspice
    Free Member

I’ve had an Osprey Stratos 24 for about 9 years. I take it MTB biking on longer trips when my 9l Camelbak won’t carry enough stuff. It goes skiing and shopping on a day to day basis. I love it. Side pockets are big enough to put a phone and energy bars in. The mesh back separates your back form the pack and is noticeably cooler than any other rucksack I’ve tried. Bought the 33l version as well because I liked it so much.

Osprey seem to think of the little things that other manufacturers don’t. We have 5 Osprey items in our house and I’d highly recommend all of them.

dovebiker

IME lot of the ultralight running-oriented backpacks need careful packing IMO to make them comfortable – they have little structure and don’t manage heavier loads well / getting pulled out of shape / stitching giving out. I’ve had an Osprey Talon for a few years – the mesh back makes it very comfortable in summer. Deuter are also good.

angeldust
    Free Member

For walking/hiking with a small load I use a lightweight OMM Phantom 20 in winter, and a Osprey Stratos 26 or talon 22 in Spring/Summer/Autumn. Unless it’s cold, I find the simple design of the OMM gives me a very sweaty back, but it is VERY lightweight. The Osprey packs are noticeably heavier, but my back stays more comfortable when it’s above 5-10°C. The stratos lets your back breathe better than the talon (which saves some weight), and both are much better than the Phantom in that regard.

onlysteel
    Free Member

Boy & I have Talon 22’s for alpine day-packs, as well as carry on. Can’t recommend them highly enough.

davidr

I’d suggest Osprey simply for the brilliant customer service. I broke a buckle a while ago and contacted them to see if I could buy a new one. It arrived in the post for no charge a could days later. I’ve not got any of the packs suggested but the day to day laptop bag I use is really well thought out.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘small day pack advice choices OMM Osprey’ is closed to new replies.