Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • small crack in windscreen
  • Mounty_73

I have a small crack in car windscreen, what’s the bed way to get it sorted?

I keep seeing adverts and stalls around saying ‘free repair’. What’s the catch?

globalti
    Free Member

I didn’t know cracks could be repaired; I thought they all spread and became terminal eventually.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

first, if it’s in the sweep of wipers and over a set size, it’s an MoT fail. And if you don’t get it fixed, it’s more likely to get bigger than to get smaller
    second, many insurance policies include glass repair as part of the policy whether you ask or not. I’ve picked up a couple of chips and they’ve been repaired by Autoglass who come to my work and do it in the car park, no charge. However, one I didn’t get round to so when the glass guy came he did say it might be an MoT fail as dirt had got into the crack and it stayed visible after he’d fixed it, but you couldn’t feel anything by rubbing the glass. it was borderline wiper sweep and passed MoT

Stevet1
    Free Member

I thought the ‘catch’ was they bill your insurance company but they’re happy because otherwise they’d have to pay out for a complete new windscreen. Could be talking rubbish though.

andyl
    Free Member

did you select the “windscreen cover” option on your car insurance?

If so then you should be entitled to a free repair (if repairable) or replacement for your windscreen excess (normally about £70) without affecting your NCB and not needing to be declared on renewals.

I suspect the Autoglass website probably has a guide to what is generally repairable and what is not. Do it sooner rather than later and dont DIY it.

Sui
    Free Member

there’s been a little topic on this on a BMW forum, though specifically around who replaces it and what’s it replaced with. If it’s a new car, some need rain sensors and such re-calibrated to the new screens and the warranties will demand branded replacement, whereas Autoglass/insurers may just fit a generic job. Just double check!

DaveRambo

IME the ‘free’ repairs are just for chips and are only free if you have an insurance company they work with and a zero excess.
    Cost to the insurance company is £75 but if like me you’re not with an appropriate insurance company the cost to you is negotiable.

I paid £20 cash which is cheaper than my excess.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘small crack in windscreen’ is closed to new replies.