Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Small claims court – get a solicitor involved?
  • andyl
    Free Member

Just about to start a money claim online process which may lead to small claims court for £1400 amount and wondering if anyone had any advice on whether to use a solicitor or not in help the prospect of success?

cinnamon_girl

That defeats the purpose shirley?

PaulMc
    Free Member

Absolutely no point, solicitors costs are not recoverable from the other side when you win in the small claims court so you will have to pay your solicitor for the he/she does. Small claims process is informal and designed to be used without a lawyer.

Drac

matt_outandabout

In Scotland, I did this a few months ago.
    Lawyers not needed, as long as you can read and have half a brain to think things through.
    In court there were advisors who helped me a lot, and tried to negotiate a settlement.
    The cost of a solicitor alone is not worth it.
    Do remember to add every cost you can to the action – I even got £80×2 added to the bill for inconvenience of attending court and missing work…

andyl
    Free Member

That’s what I thought but I didn’t want to mess anything up in my application. We’ve been advised we have a solid case by those who can give that kind of opinion and so far the other parties responses have been laughable and full of lies. Just want to get something back of all the money it’s cost us.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I’ve just won a Money Claim Online case against a local garage to the tune of £820 inc costs. The form was a bit faffy but nothing I couldn’t manage. ( & if I can do it…..)
    No solicitor needed.

rickmeister

Found from my claim, winning is one thing but getting the money actually in your hand, is another. I have a SCC action from Scotland and England against the same individual but still have yet to be paid….

andyl
    Free Member

yeah that is the other thing. I did read I can instruct the court to contact their employer and take it out of their pay or send the bailiffs round. He has a nice new car that would cover what he owes us (would rather not go that route and would prefer the former).

br
    Free Member

He has a nice new car that would cover what he owes us (would rather not go that route and would prefer the former).

That’ll be his next debt…, no doubt on tick.

jota180
    Free Member

Send the sheriffs round if you don’t get paid

They have impressive powers – if the TV in anything to go on

MrNice
    Free Member

I did small claims years ago. No lawyer involved and I got my money. I can’t advise on what you do if they don’t pay up but there are options (luckily for me the thick-as-shit ex-employer turned out to have sufficient brain cells to recognize when he’d lost)

slowoldman

You need this guy
    A Great Lawyer

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

luckily for me the thick-as-shit ex-employer turned out to have sufficient brain cells to recognize when he’d lost

Bit like my bloke. I only wanted £410 to start with but after getting no sense out of him & doing the paperwork for court he admitted full liability of over £800. (Mind you, I must be as daft as him for not claiming £760 in the 1st place)

mikewsmith
    Free Member

one of these 2 should do it

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Small claims court – get a solicitor involved?’ is closed to new replies.