Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Small cheap hardtail frames and anyone tried the CRC Brand X "Trail" frame?
  • luket

Much more difficult it seems to find 2nd hand smaller frames than medium/larger ones. Looking around there seem to be one or two interesting new options but I’m struggling to find much info or people with feedback.

This
    Brand X Trail on CRC
    looks ok for the money but does anyone have any experience of them?

Also the Triplebutted Cycling ones (previously Dirty Jo?), CRC’s Brand X XC hardtail and the Handsomedog XC03 could be suitable. They appear all to be the same frame but could take 100mm or 130mm forks depending on who you ask, which is weird. Anyone got any experience of any of them?

I’m after something to build up for someone pretty small and light (5’3″) for probably 130mm forks and to be a bit more chuckable and more fun/capable down the hill than the standard steeper angled/shorter travel XC frame, if that makes any sense…

brant
    Free Member

Was going to be called the Ragley Shitehawk, but ended up as Brand X.

http://myragley.com/p1000709jpg

One of my designs. Nice capable frame.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

I hope that someone somewhere does eventually bring out a bike called the Shitehawk. Perhaps it’d be a good name for the On-One fat bike.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    luket

No bloody idea what to make of that but I think I’ll buy one anyway. It is relatively unlikely I’ll Tippex “Shitehawk” on it, mind…

grahamh
    Free Member

Build up a brand-x frame last year

Rides/handles well enough, all round good frame.

viktro
    Free Member

hey grahamh or brant (or anyone else who knows this): what is the length of the headtube on a 15″ frame?

mrbelowski
    Free Member

I got a Dirty Jo Full Creme (the triple butted one) frame, which is the same as one of the CRC Brand X frames I believe.

Mine’s a medium (18 inch).

It’s very light and seems well made. I run it with 100mm Rebas, but it actually handled better with the 130mm Toras I used to have. Perhaps it’s a bit small for me (I’m 5’10, or 5’11 on a good day) and it can be pretty nervous on the more technical stuff. I use a layback seat post and a 90mm stem + riser bars.

I like the frame, and they’re a bargain, but if you want a bonkers-descent capable frame, they just don’t cut it. Or perhaps I just suck. It rides well on the way up tho 🙂

brant
    Free Member

The Brand X trail (link above) isn’t the same as a “Dirty Jo Full Creme”.

br
    Free Member

Maybe look for a Dr Jekell 4X frame?

My son has one and I recently built it up for XC/trails, light and strong.

viktro
    Free Member

Geo chart states that headtube for Dirt Jump Frame MK III is 120mm, is it the same for the Trail frame?

docrobster
    Free Member

If anyone is still interested in the brand x trail I’ve just received mine from CRC today.
    I ordered a 13″ to build up for my 13yr old daughter for xmas. She’s just under 4’11 tall with a 70cm inseam. Has just outgrown her 24″ wheeled bike (too short for her) so this frame looked about right geometry wise. If it’s too small son can have it when he’s 11.
    The box has jump frame on the side and states net weight 1.5kg. Not weighed it yet but feels light. Lighter than my 18″ 456 any way!
    Measurements on the 13 are 100mm head tube, 54.5ish cm c-c tob tube, 31.8 seat clamp and derailleur clamp. Nice dropouts and detachable hanger. Finish isn’t perfect but it’ll do.
    Planning on building it up with some old 130mm solo air toras and whatever else is in the shed (bars stem post wheel tyres knocking about). with CRCs £50 off when you spend £100 offer I’ll get the rest of the bits from there and have a pretty nice complete bike for around £200. Sorted!

walleater

Frame material: Alloy

Well that narrows it down a bit. At least we know it’s not made of iron….

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Small cheap hardtail frames and anyone tried the CRC Brand X "Trail" frame?’ is closed to new replies.