Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Small, cheap cars that fit a mountain bike in!
  • mrsconsequence
    Free Member

So after my write off I am having to buy a new car… I had a 206 and it fit my mountain bike with front wheel off perfectly.

I’m looking at 206s, Clios, Ford Focuses… That size car, anyone know what smallish cars don’t fit mountain bikes in? Don’t want to take a bike to every viewing of a car to check it fits ha but it’s very important!

jonk

Clio DCI is cheap to run fits 2 bikes in easy with front wheels off.

philconsequence
    Free Member

TheFlyingOx

Ford Ka (the older bubble shaped one) gets one in no bother.
    Mk2 MR2 gets one in the passenger seat with both wheels off. A lot more fun… 😈
    The wife’s MX5 just about gets one in with both wheels off, but you have to take the roof down to get everything in and then put the roof back up over it.

All small and cheap.

derp
    Free Member

MK6 2003 Fiesta 1.4 Zetec can get 2 bikes in with just front wheels off.

BadlyWiredDog

We once had five people and four bikes in an old model Suzuki Swift, most cars’ll take a bike or two with both wheels off. I had a bike in a Daewoo Matiz hire car once. So unless it’s for some reason absolutely essential to you to leave one wheel on, pretty much anything should cope.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

The 306 had a much bigger boot than most other cars in it’s class and they’re pretty nice to drive too.

mrsconsequence
    Free Member

I can’t really afford anything that’s newer than 2000… But good to know most things fit bike with both wheels off, old fiestas and 106s, etc look tiny after having a 206 for a while

PGreen
    Free Member

My 54 Focus 3 door will take a bike in the boot with wheels and seatpost off, and you can still have all 5 seats available.
    Otherwise 2-3 bikes with just the front wheel removed if the rear seats are down.
    Good car, enjoyable to drive.

derp
    Free Member

I also had a MK5 fiesta, 1999, fitted 2 bikes in with both wheels off.

Rust buckets though, so would probably avoid.

…as above an old 306 might be an idea. Maybe even something like an old Toyota Corolla?

oliverd1981
    Free Member

Smaller cars aren’t always cheaper – you can normally get something the size of a Mondeo for the same price as a fiesta (for example) from the same year and the equipment level and build will usually be much better, obviusly there will be more space too.

Sue_W
    Free Member

Look out for an old skoda fabia – fits bikes easily and skoda have an excellent reputation for reliabilty so should be a good option if you’re looking for an older car

philconsequence
    Free Member

cheers everyone 🙂 we’re looking at a maximum budget or around 1grand +/- 10% ish so that budget will limit us

molgrips
    Free Member

Fiesta, 206, Polo, Clio, Corsa, Fabia, Ibiza are the same size class. 106, Ka, newer Micras are the smaller class. Focuses are bigger than Fiestas etc.

Hairychested
    Free Member

Phil, for that you can have my 406 😀
    Seriously!

ransos
    Free Member

Focus may not cost you any more than a fiesta, and has a much bigger boot.

disco_stu
    Free Member

i could easily get 2 bikes into my girlfriends corsa with the back seats down

philconsequence
    Free Member

fabia for teh winz :mrgreen:

is your 406 in ireland mr chested?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Look at the Ford Fusion – ugly as sin but big boot and cheap to buy.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

My old Tomac Magnum went in my 2001 Corsa. And that was a lot of bike in a small car…

Hairychested
    Free Member

It is but I’ll be at SSWC with it (another reason for you to come). It often is in NI but that’s of no use to you I’m pretty sure. I could drop a chunk to cover the cost of collecting it 🙂

Junkyard
    Free Member

i could easily get 2 bikes into my girlfriends corsa with the back seats down

euphamism??

Hairychested
    Free Member

^^^ LOL ^^^

_tom_
    Free Member

I can’t get my bike in the back of my Fiesta (06 shape) without both wheels off.. could only just about fit a bmx in it with both wheels on.

philconsequence
    Free Member

mr chested, i thank you kindly many thousand camels for your offer but i think mrsconsequence will be anti 406 due to the size, she’s a firm believer in wimmin should only be allowed small cars as they’re rubbish with spacial awareness 😆

cheers again for the advice everyone!

gwj72
    Free Member

I’m toying with the idea of selling my 205 gti 1.9. Had two bikes in the back loads of times. It’s pretty heavily modified (underneath, standard looking) so not everyone’s cup of tea. But great fun driving back from C-y-B!

Loads of ’em for sale on ebay/pistonheads.

derp
    Free Member

I can’t get my bike in the back of my Fiesta (06 shape) without both wheels off….

You got a tandem?

crankboy
    Free Member

i can get two bike in the back of my panda with the car back seat down and the bike wheels off.

argyle
    Free Member

2 bikes and kit in a 54 plate micra. Rad to the core

Hairychested
    Free Member

mr chested, i thank you kindly many thousand camels for your offer but i think mrsconsequence will be anti 406 due to the size, she’s a firm believer in wimmin should only be allowed small cars as they’re rubbish with spacial awareness

cheers again for the advice everyone!
    Phil, no worries, I’m a married man too 😀
    TBH Years ago myself and a mate were using an old Pug 205 1.9 diesel to shift bikes. If I had a wife who understands I need another one I’d be thinking of the one above. As things stand I have a Punto (being fixed as it wasn’t serviced for a bit before I got it) for the missus and I’ll be getting a 206 1.4HDi from England. Cheap as chips for a very decent car (from 1200 quid AFAIK). If I were driving fewer miles (and I do some 600+ mpw) I’d consider a petrol version. Or maybe a Punto Sporting/GT. Seriously.

cupra
    Free Member

Well I used to fit 2 mtbs in a Citroen AX (GT no less) back in the mid ’90s…..

mrsconsequence
    Free Member

Ha yea 406 would be far too big, I reversed into our house and a metal rod in my 206 and I think I have fairly good spacial awareness!

I am being a pain in that I only want a car I like the look of, so would turn down decent cars cos I think their ugly and go for another French car… Skodas are the best value for reliability, I just think fabias are man cars (maybe just cos Phil has one). I like girly bubbly cars like 206s but need the practicality of a decent size.

But good to know what people have gotten bikes in 🙂

argyle
    Free Member

My micra has a make up mirror. I like that…

philconsequence
    Free Member

i just overheard the bosses sister laugh so much on the phone she farted.

hope that helps x

Tim
    Free Member

You can fit an mtb in pretty much anything. 106, 205, polo’s, C1/aygo/107 have been done.

CaptainBudget
    Free Member

I’ve got a MK4 Fiesta, and they are amazing small cars full stop. I’d try and get the 1.6 rather than the 1.3 I’ve got, it’s a bit weedy if you’re using it as a bikewagon.

…but it is amazing what you can get in it.

I’ve had 3 DH bikes and 3 people (inc. driver) INSIDE, still did 40 to the Gallon and wasn’t too bad for speed

It is also an amazingly fun car to drive. I’ve driven loads of cars in that kind of category, and the Fiestas are the best handling and most fun I’ve had. The only way to find more fun ones is to look at the focus, the old Honda Civic and other large Hatches.

Klunk
    Free Member

2 bikes and kit in a 54 plate micra. Rad to the core

yeah done that, also for small hatches, if only 2 of ya, a little more room can be had by removing the seat back all together.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Small, cheap cars that fit a mountain bike in!’ is closed to new replies.