Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Small block 8's or crossmark
  • oblique
    Free Member

I am trying to decide between these tyres, can anyone offer advice?

Also I have heard crossmark for the rear and small block up front is a good way to go. do people agree with this?

Also is the 62A worth the extra £4 (maybe same tyre each end but different compounds)

rOcKeTdOg

got a crossmark on the rear, excellent in the dry, surprising good in the winter mud, SB8's i've heard are draggy but that's just hearsay not real experience

poppa
    Free Member

I use SB8. They feel pretty fast off-road in the dry, but don't feel particularly fast on-road. They give a decent amount of grip in dry, dusty conditions and can cope with a small amount of damp. I like them. Although I try to push my limits, I am not a DH god and suspect they will not stand up to extreme use. Like most Kendas they are not as robust as Maxxis, so will probably not fare well in the presence of lots of sharp rocks.

Haven't used a Crossmark, but have inspected one. The tread looks shallower than the SB8, I suspect they will be faster and have less traction. They look like a good summer rear tyre, but for most of the people most of the time I suspect you will want something with a bit more bite up-front. In summer a SB8 will cut it, if you want a crazy fast combo (or a Larsen TT).

poppa
    Free Member

These look pretty interesting too, got a good write up in MBUK I think:

http://www.geax.com/en/products/?cat=2&prod=5

chakaping
    Free Member

Isn't a Larsen closer to a SB8 in tread pattern?

I've got SB8 rear and my friend has a Larsen rear – both seem very fast offroad and even surprisingly OK in wet and mud.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Bonty XR1 front
    Bonty Xr0 rear

For something dif

BB

I don't really understand why everyone loves the Crossmark. I used to have a pair of 2.1 62a's. Fine in the dry and on road but absolutely lethal in anything approaching mud. There is almost no tread between the centre and outside blocks.

I also ripped the sides walls three times in two weeks (Chilterns flint).

Got some SB8's now. Tyres still in one piece (they are UST though), and not as terrifying in the wet.

Probably don't roll as fast but you've got to ask yourself what your priority's are.

My 2p's worth.

verses

I've been running SB8s for the last year and would mostly agree with Poppa's comments. Regarding robustness, they held up well around Grizedale's North Face loop a few weeks back, but it's fair to say that that's an exception, given that my usual trails are pretty much rock free.

rOcKeTdOg

+1 for bonty XR's got one up from on my swift, with X mark rear, very fast combo used all year round, mud, wet and dry

MRanger156
    Free Member

I prefer the crossmarks as found the SB8 to be too draggy. I'd only use one as a rear tyre though.

Maxxis are releasing an "exo protection" version of the crossmark with a beefed up sidewall – I'd go for one of these as the execption series has a very thin sidewall.

Paceman
    Free Member

Also check out Maxxis Aspen's… might fit the bill.

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

Like most Kendas they are not as robust as Maxxis, so will probably not fare well in the presence of lots of sharp rocks.

Complete BS. My Nevegals are still fine after a years riding on the sharp, rocky Lakeland trails.

ZaskarCarbon
    Free Member

SB8s, draggy… Are you kidding??!!!

Fitted some on my hardtail and they roll faster than a dropped bearing heading behind the nearest cupboard!

Certainly the fastest rolling tyres I've used.

MrTall
    Free Member

I've also heard people say the SB8's are draggy on the road etc and i'm amazed as i've always thought they were super fast.

I ran them (in 29er guise) at Mayhem this year and they were excellent (and saved a pound in weight over both wheels compared to the Rampages they replaced). Grippy and super fast.

I also used to run the 2.35" versions when i rode 26" bikes and they were very good also. They are now on my jump bike which only gets ridden when my nephew comes to stay.

Not great in mud but then what drypack specific tyre is?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Small block 8's or crossmark’ is closed to new replies.