Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Small bike build
  • surfer
    Free Member

My eldest daughter is keen on coming biking with me on local trails and maybe on trips to Llandegla and wales.
    I was looking at whats available however the spec on anything less than around £400 – £500 is not that impressive IMO.
    Since I got my Ex 8 my Commencal has been gathering dust in the garage. The kit on it is OK (other than the forks) so I was thinking of building a bike by just buying a new On-one frame (maybe in shocking Pink!)
    What would the STW massif recommend as a good frame (on-one or alternative for around the same price)for this kind of build?

Cheers

rolfharris
    Free Member

How tall is she? We have some aluminium XC frames in the shop in 14/15" that if she's 5'4" or under would suit well- they'll be a bit shorter than an on-one but lighter.

They're £60 and have disc mounts and replaceable mech hangers and so on.

surfer
    Free Member

She is 5'2". Do you have any pics?

Cheers

rolfharris
    Free Member

I'll sort some when I'm in tomorrow.

This is the frame-

http://www.dirtyjobikes.co.uk/Frames/Dirty_Jo_Semi_Creme_

We have one in black, one in silver but I know one is sold and I can't remember which colour. They were £200 a couple of years back but they've got a touch of shop wear around the disc mounts now.

surfer
    Free Member

Sounds great.

I have Juicy 3's so hopefully the disk mounts will be OK?

Please drop me a note on mcivord(at)gmail.com

Many thanks!

rolfharris
    Free Member

Yeah, those brakes will fit fine. I'll send you a mail when I know what colour is available.

Olly
    Free Member

for the ladies, i would suggest as light as possible.
    weight down to the absolute minimum due girles having a lower power to weight ratio than chaps.

Jose got this XtC team frame off fleabay for 150 quid

the build could be lighter, but the frame itself weighs next to nothing, its wafer thin allux (though still seems to be plenty strong enough)

juan
    Free Member

superstar opponent what size of frame do you have available, and how much you want to post to France?

rolfharris
    Free Member

Juan- they're 14 or 15", I need to measure them really. Not sure what postage to france'd be, I'd have to speak to the boss to see if he'd allow it to be honest.

si-wilson
    Free Member

I have a small brand new (16") Brodie Catalyst that i a can do at silly money. Tange DB tubing, Marz forks etc..

Retail at £1099 this one bike for £500

spec here http://www.progressive-bikes.co.uk/catalyst.html

CheesybeanZ

Mrs beanZ has a 14" 456ss @ 5`2" and a half with plenty of standover .

surfer
    Free Member

Superstar opponents?

Any news on the frame? E:mail as above.

Cheers

rolfharris
    Free Member

Hi mate- I didn't take my camera to work yesterday, but there's a polished one left hanging up. Only things I see wrong with it is some scuffing to the disc tabs where they rest on the ceiling.

tinsy
    Free Member

They ride lovely wont go wrong the the DJ frame… Are they badged up as Dirty Jo ones Superstar? seen the frame in a few different brandings.

I swapped from a DJ frame to a Ti Inbred and blindfolded would have had trouble telling the difference in ride.

rolfharris
    Free Member

aye, they're badged up as Dirty Jos. Not ridden one properly myself so can't comment but just seemed like a reasonably priced option.

wheelz
    Free Member

I've bought two brand new Carrera Kraken frames (14") for £25 each over the past three weeks from a charity seller on eBay.

One has been built up with 26" wheels for my 10-year-old son, and the other is currently being built up with 24" wheels for my 8-year-old daughter.

They don't have any of the 14" Kraken frames up for sale at the moment, but they do come up quite often. They do have a 16" frame, but this will probably be too big

The seller's items for sale are on this link

This is the 26" wheeled one:

tinsy
    Free Member

SNAP… well almost, this was a vulcan frame about £30 off the bay brand new, incidentally this build came in at the £400 the original post had to spend, the forks were a bit naff but the rest of it was good stuff, better than £400 bought at the time anyhow.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Small bike build’ is closed to new replies.