Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • SLX Vs XT Brakes… Any difference in use?
  • mboy
    Free Member

OK, so I know the SLX are a 2 piece caliper Vs 1 piece of the XT, and I know XT have more adjustments on the levers, but in use how do they compare?

Anyone own/owned both and got an objective view on both? Does the 1 piece caliper really make any difference, or do the SLX work exactly the same?

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

You'll have seen this I guess which suggests the SLX is better in some respects?

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/components/disc-brake-systems/product/slx-brake-10-37523

I only got an SLX (2010) so cant help you directly – but ime it's not as good as a Formula Oro K24.

mboy
    Free Member

Cheers

Hadn't seen that, but considering how inconsistent BikeRadar (MBUK) is, I'll take it with a pinch of salt to be fair.

I understand where you're coming from about the Formula's… I would love some Formula R1's, but they're £200 odd an end… That and I've got 4 bikes, so to have them all running Shimano and using the same pads kinda makes sense economy and interchangability wise… It'd cost me £1600 to sort all 4 bikes out with some Formula R1's!!!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    chakaping
    Free Member

Yeah I've got both, and have used both on the same bike.

Sometimes one is better and sometimes the other is tbh.

I'd buy SLX if I needed some more, if that helps? Ribble have them advertised for £50 an end with no rotors, which seems an absolute steal.

mboy
    Free Member

Cheers Chapaking

Not so long ago I bought some SLX levers and a pair of Hone calipers (similar to SLX, just a tad heavier) from CRC in a sale, but have not yet got round to fitting them. Have noticed this evening there's quite a few mega cheap deals on SLX and XT brakesets without rotors (I don't need rotors) at the moment, so was contemplating returning my levers and calipers unused to CRC (still in their packaging untouched so won't be an issue) and buying a full SLX or XT setup…

Or similarly, do I just send the Hone calipers back and replace them with either SLX or XT as CRC are now doing SLX and XT calipers on their own for £25 and £35 each respectively now.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘SLX Vs XT Brakes… Any difference in use?’ is closed to new replies.