Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • SLX versus XT chainsets
  • dave_rudabar
    Free Member

So, is there much point in paying the extra for XT crankes & chainrings, over the SLX versions?
    I know there's a tiny bit of a weight saving, but owt else?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Probably not, they weigh less so you pay more money, as with most things in mtbing.

Deore ones are £50 at merlin

foxyrider
    Free Member

Nope – weight IMHO although I have never tried SLX crankset and shifters – I replaced my XT rear shadow with an SLX and no functional difference – the SLX front mech is also good.

Deore chainrings are like butter IME 🙂

FuzzyWuzzy

I have an SLX chainset on one bike and an XT on the other and can't tell any difference in feel so yeah it's basically just about the slight weight difference. The XT one was second-hand and a bargain otherwise I'd have gotten SLX for that bike to.

KonaTC

I have a SLX crankset and to be honest I can’t feel any difference in stiffness or shifting performance. Shimano IMHO have made SLX the new XT, same quality for less money

Country_Gent
    Free Member

I run XT on my hard tail and SLX twin + bash on my full suss bike. There is a difference in the weight of the units but to be honest that's mainly due to the design and weight of the chainrings. I run middleburn rings on both sets so don't really notice too much difference.

SLX are great bargain now, especially as XT has shot up in price in the last year!

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

So onto my next question…. Anyone got a good SLX one to sell?! 😆

I see that CRC are offering them at a good price, shall probably just plump for one of those – cheers y'all!

Artillerydave
    Free Member

if you don't need a BB then Ribble Cycles are doing the SLX for much cheepness.

pinches
    Free Member

SLX cranks, 40g lighter, about 40% stiffer than XTs.

tragically1969
    Free Member

SLX cranks, 40g lighter, about 40% stiffer than XTs.

Eh, you sure, not according to this, SLX are heavier than XT:

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/listings/components.php?type=cranksets&sortby=real

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

Aye, they're supposed to be about 40g heavier according to the marketing blurb. Which isn't worth worrying about IMO!

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

SLX rings are much cheaper come replacemnt time too.

Northwind

Yep, Pinches is wrong, they're stiff though… People say XTR's stiffer but I can't tell any difference between my SLX and my XTR. Great cranks…

pinches
    Free Member

yes, that was meant to read XTs are 40g lighter than slx, bit of a typo

theyEye
    Free Member

Deore chainrings are like butter

I was thinking of throwing some Deore chainrings on my chainset, XT prices are ridiculous. Is that soft like butter, or smooth like butter?!

mboy
    Free Member

I was thinking of throwing some Deore chainrings on my chainset, XT prices are ridiculous. Is that soft like butter, or smooth like butter?!

When your XT chainrings are worn out totally, sell the XT crank arms on to a singlespeeder for £50 or so (if they're in good nick), and buy yourself some brand new SLX cranks with rings to replace… Will cost you about £40 all in, but MUCH cheaper than buying some new chainrings on their own.

FWIW, I have both SLX triple and XT triple chainsets and the differences aren't noticable at all in use. If anything, I'd say the SLX chainrings possibly shift better, certainly they're as durable as the XT. SLX are only 27g heavier than the XT's too (not 40g as mentioned above), certainly the price difference isn't worth the money saved as a £40-50 saving could easily save a lot more than 27g elsewhere on most peoples bikes no doubt!

SLX even look pretty good too (unlike the old LX). OK, XT do still look slightly nicer, but it ain't worth £40 extra nice!

theyEye
    Free Member

Slx cranks and rings for 40 quid? Where?!

sockpuppet

do pay attention at the back there… 🙄

sell the XT crank arms on to a singlespeeder for £50 or so (if they're in good nick), and buy yourself some brand new SLX cranks with rings to replace… Will cost you about £40 all

so i guess they're £90, with £50 recouped 😉

seth-enslow666
    Free Member

I think SLX look better than XT!

Northwind

I reckon so too. XT looks a lot like my un-named Shimano on my commuter, SLX has a much classier look IMO.

AndyPaice
    Free Member

Deore steel chainrings are the most durable ones I've ever used, compared to middleburn hArdcoat, raceface, ta etc. They do both alloy and steel in deore so you have to be sure you get the steel ones.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘SLX versus XT chainsets’ is closed to new replies.