Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • slx shifter not shifting, easy repair or should I replace?
  • jekkyl

My right hand slx shifter won’t shift. The bigger lever sometimes won’t move at all and then occasionally it will but it won’t rachet any shifting. Only 20 odd quid to replace or is there any an easy fix? struggling to find any vids on youtube or instructions online anywhere. Hoping to go to Cannock tomorrow so time is of the essence.
    Thanks

twohats
    Free Member

Super easy fix. Take the underside cover off, on the bigger lever there’s a tiny selector arm that runs in the ratchet mechanism, the pivot on the selector arm is seized and needs lubing up with some thin spray lube. You may need to work the little arm backwards and forwards to free it up. It should work a treat after a good dousing in lube!

jekkyl

Thanks mate. Been working it loose for 10 mins and both levers are nice and free but it’s still not ratcheting. Any ideas? Cheers

twohats
    Free Member

You need to douse the small selector arm and work that with something small and pointy rather than the large shifter lever.
    lots of spray lube is the key!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Yeah. Wot twohats said. I just pop the cable cover screw off and fill it with GT85 until it drips out. I’ve fixed loads like this. If that doesn’t work it’s generally knackered.

woodlikesbeer
    Free Member

If you haven’t checked already check that the cable inside the shifter isn’t kinked. I’ve seen quite a few where the cable has got kinked about 10mm before the nipple. The cable then jams hte rachet mechanisim.
    Pulling about shifters is do-able. But you need a good quality small philips screwdriver and to work slowly when pulling it apart. There are couple of springs ready to ping off across the room.
    Worth a go if you think the shifter is bust.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘slx shifter not shifting, easy repair or should I replace?’ is closed to new replies.