Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • SLX Shadow Plus Derailleur Users…
  • ryanctj
    Free Member

Just got my bike back from the bike shop and noticed the new derailleur they’ve fitted has an ON/OFF switch. It’s an SLX Shadow Plus. Do I switch it to on for rough descents and off for climbing? Leave it switched on all the time? I’ve also got a Bionicon C-Guide, is there any harm (or point?) in running both? And do they actually work? Many thanks.

Fortunateson09
    Free Member

You might have found that out before splashing out on it? 😉

The switch is for the clutch bit – stops the whole affair swinging forward and slapping about when switched on. The idea is to keep it on all the time, only switching it off when you come to remove the rear wheel.

I’d image a Shadow Plus and a C-Guide would be a pretty good setup – quiet and minimal chain droppage…

themoodster
    Free Member

Shouldn’t need the c-guide with the plus mech but no point getting rid now you’ve got it.

svalgis
    Free Member

You’re not supposed to use the C-guide with the clutch activated though, too much tension or something.

ryanctj
    Free Member

Thanks all, I think it was the only one the mechanic had in but I had it for a bargain in the end. I guess my dilemma is now do I go clutch on and lose the chainguide, or keep the clutch off and stick with the Bionicon? My own noob stupidity in making my chain too short got me into the situation in the first place (snapped chain/bent mech & derailleur) so if running both could cause a similar situation I’d rather avoid it.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Yep as above it’s on for everything except taking the wheel out. Missus has one on her Blur LTc 3 rings no chain device and it’s fairly quiet and non slappy

godzilla
    Free Member

Have + mech owners done away with Stingers and chain guides?

Highland28
    Free Member

I am using a xt shadow + medium cage for my 1×10 setup. Was running a full Mrp mini g2 guide with top and bottom roller, however since upgrading to the + mech I have done away with the lower roller and the whole system is virtually silent even rattling down some pretty rough ground on a hardtail.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘SLX Shadow Plus Derailleur Users…’ is closed to new replies.