• This topic has 10 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by JAG.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • SLX shadow or shadow +?
  • highclimber
    Free Member

Right, just recieved my 10sp shifters from the CRC bargain posted on here a few days ago. Looking at rear mechs and I have no idea.

I am going to run 1×10 but was hoping I wouldn’t have to upgrade my front rings but I don’t know anything about rear mechs other than I can (just) about afford a new SLX one with a clutch so I can hopefully do away with needing extra bits.

whats people’s thoughts and wheres cheapest?

citizeninsane
    Free Member

Just had the same decision to make myself, ended up plumping for the plus version. Decided, for about £6 more, I’d take the punt on it. Bit less chain slap is always a good thing. How much difference there actually is and how much of it is marketing BS? Bit of both probably.

Got mine from here, cheapest I could find.
    http://www.bike-discount.de/shop/k1197/a72809/slx-10-speed-rear-derailleur-rd-m675-gs-shadow-plus.html?mfid=43

honourablegeorge

Plus version deffo worth the extra

kevin1911

Yep, I went for shadow+, but went for the XT from CRC as it was only a few quid more again.

The way I see it is that it should save me buying a chain device at some point. The guys in Dirt seemed to think the days of chain devices might be limited now…

Northwind

Plus is worth it. You can always turn it off, and the weight difference is small. But even on a multi-ring setup the reduction in noise and the extra control’s totally worth it.

Shifting can be ever so slightly stiffer at the end of the cassette, mind. But it’s not like Shimano is hard on the thumbs.

I’d not buy a non-clutch mech now I think, except maybe for a race bike, it’s genuine progress.

Clong
    Free Member

The guys in Dirt seemed to think the days of chain devices might be limited now…

Then my road commute must be uber gnarly, the chain derailed fairly regularly until i put a Pauls device on it

kevin1911

Even with a shadow+ mech?

Northwind

I still use a top guide with my shadow+, it wasn’t anything like good enough by itself. But top guide + mech seems as good as double guide, without the drawbacks of that, and much better than standard mech + top guide.

honourablegeorge

kevin1911 – Member

The way I see it is that it should save me buying a chain device at some point. The guys in Dirt seemed to think the days of chain devices might be limited now…

Even SRAM have stopped claiming that for their all-singing, all-dancing XX1 groupset – they now say it removes the need for a guide “in some situations”

Clong
    Free Member

Even with a shadow+ mech?

Yep, every now and then and all i was doing was changing gear. There is a slight bit of play in the mech which allows the mech to move before the clutch engages. That was all it took to throw the chain off the ring.

JAG

I’ve just been reading up on these new rear mech’s as I’d not come across them until now 🙄

IF I understand it correctly this new design will also reduce chain-suck???

Am I right? I’d be v.interested in getting one if it helps, can anyone confirm that for me?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘SLX shadow or shadow +?’ is closed to new replies.