Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Slx or xtr breaks
  • speedsterkid
    Free Member

Hi! I know that xtr has a screw instead of a split pin but slx has the thread to allow for this screw if wanted. I also know that xt has an extra adjustment which apparently dose not get used much. Also xt is lighter. If anyone has an opinion about if xt is worth the extra money. If anyone also knows what this extra adjustment is it would help me a lot. I have heard that xt is more powerful and I am looking for good power in breaks so if anyone thinks xt are more powerful. Thanks for all your help!

19ninety
    Free Member

Arent SLX and XT the same calipers and levers, except XT has a bite point adjustment knob and SLX has an allen screw?

cookeaa

Slx or xtr breaks

Everything does eventually including shimano’s brakes… 😉

TBH I would rather have a split pin than a bolt for pad retention and a dial I won’t bother using save the shekels and buy SLX… Or deore perhaps?

twoniner
    Free Member

I’m in the same boat, sort of.

I’m building up a Niner AIR 9 and am looking at brake options. I’ve always been a Hope man but for this build I’m looking at other options.

been looking at the XT but the SLX get the rave reviews.

neverownenoughbikes
    Free Member

I’ve just bought a pair of slx brakes. Quality is top notch. The only difference I can see is the adjustment and the finish, xt and xtr are more shiny. The slx still look ok though.
    I got 2 brakes with 160mm rotors for £125 from merlin. The post mount to IS mounting hardware was only a tenner from superstar.

bikeneil
    Free Member

Slx or xtr breaks

Do they?

firestarter
    Free Member

They all break that’s why I went with deore cheap as chips and just as good stopping power with less gubbins to go wrong. Bolt on and forget. I got the full 2×10 group set for 250 that’s less than some people pay for brakes

Goldigger
    Free Member

If you get the slx from Merlin’s you don’t get the ice tech finned pads, they come with standard pads.
    XT’s come with the ice tech finned pads..
    10% off at Merlin’s at the moment..
    SLX £99 F & R set
    XT £121.50 F & R set

£22.50 difference..gets you ice tech pads, retaining bolt, freestroke adjust and lighter weight..
    And the look cool 🙂

andymc06
    Free Member

SLX are £104.98 a set on Chain reaction at the moment. With the “UPGRADE” code they are £94.98. I’m fairly sure they have finned pads but it’s not a deal breaker for me!

dirtydog
    Free Member

FYI

XT are fitted with ceramic pistons which means they should run cooler, probably worth considering if your a fat knacker or do a bit of extended downhill,uplifts/alps etc.

twoniner
    Free Member

FYI

XT are fitted with ceramic pistons which means they should run cooler, probably worth considering if your a fat knacker or do a bit of extended downhill,uplifts/alps etc.

Cheers for that, good to know.

Scamper
    Free Member

I thought slx have ceramics too, just not the deore.

speedsterkid
    Free Member

Thanks for all the help so far. I’m leaning towards the xt’s. 😀

lee170
    Free Member

Slx are amazing for the price and always get a higher test score than xt’s, best brake tests slx are often the winners.
    I changed from Deore to slx and I would highly recommend them.

steve_b77
    Free Member

As far as I can tell there is no discernable difference between bogo M615 Deore and XT in terms of out right performance.

They just look & cost different

Superficial
    Free Member

SLX are just as nice to use as XT, in use they seem identical (I have a pair of each). I didn’t know about the ceramic pistons thing, I guess that might occasionally make a difference. I reckon that brakes have a limited mileage (at least until they start feeling a bit rubbish) so I’d recommend buying the SLX (or deore), saving the cash and just replacing them earlier.

Of course I had to buy XT to match everything else on my bike, but that’s because I’m a shallow narcissist.

nwill1
    Free Member

Go for the ones that you like the look of, I’ve had both & there’s no real difference (other than those stated above) however I ended up keeping the XT as I liked the look of them better and let’s be frank we’re talking £20 extra, on a bike probably costing many hundreds what’s £20…1/2 a tyre?

mlbasiliere
    Free Member

The threaded retaining pin is available separately (and the caliper on the SLXs comes threaded), narrowing the gap a bit and making it easier to replace pads on the trail. Paid US$5 for mine, if I remember right. Functionally, they’re very, very similar.

neverownenoughbikes
    Free Member

The slx ones have ceramic pistons too. I think they are anyway as they are white.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Slx or xtr breaks’ is closed to new replies.