Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • SLX or XT Shadow+ rear mech?
  • granny_ring

Need to get a gs mech, is the xt worth the extra £8-10 over the slx?

neilwheel
    Free Member

The extra cost gets you jockey wheels with bearings on the XT, compared to unsealed plain bushes on SLX, and a few grams difference in weight.

Less clearance for using extender sprockets with the XT.

ratherbeintobago

SLX; when the jockey wheels wear out you can replace them with bearing ones.

granny_ring

Oh right cheers.
    It will be used with a one up 42 tooth sprocket and rad cage with 30/32 chainring so would slx be better then?

neilwheel
    Free Member

I use SLX with a 40T set up and no complaints.

tomd
    Free Member

I’d get the XT. I have SLX on me and the wife’s main bikes and the jockey wheels died in no time. Unsealed metal on plastic bushes. They seem to still be going OK, but may as well pay the £8 upfront for decent jockey wheels + slightly more bling. Other bike has XT and the mech lasts and the jockey wheels lasted until they became throwing stars.

granny_ring

I dont mind paying the extra, I hadn’t thought about which would work best with the One Up stuff.
    So has anyone used XT with a 42 tooth and RAD cage?

davosaurusrex

Medium cage XT with 42t one up sprocket and rad cage here, no issues

kneebiscuit
    Free Member

I’ve just bought an xt shadow+ with a Radr cage and am having issues with the arm where the cable attaches interfering with the cassette. First I’ve heard that there was a difference in clearance between xt and slx mechs, but everything I’ve read where there has been a problem seems to mention XT mechs, so maybe there’s a difference. I haven’t had a proper chance to fully tune in the setup so it might well be user error in the setup.

neilwheel
    Free Member

I think the issue is with the length of the hanger, as in the distance from axle centre to fixing bolt hole centre.

So the issue is with the frame not the mech. Short hanger then use SLX instead of XT.

granny_ring

Ok thanks for that, how do you define a short hanger to a not short hanger?!

JoeG
    Free Member

XT nd SLX parts are mostly the same or interchangeable per Shimano’s Tech Docs (cut and paste link)

si.shimano.com/php/download.php?file=pdf/ev/EV-RD-M675-3407.pdf

Northwind

I don’t think the bushings vs bearings is an issue, I used to find it was but clutchy mechs seem to go through jockey wheels too fast for it to arise. I’d go with XT, as I am a tart, but frankly if you’re fitting a radcage there’s very little practical difference.

steve_b77
    Free Member

I run a Deore on mine witha RADr cage and it’s just fine and dandy with a 40t expander.

The original jockey wheels have covered over 1000km and are good for at least another in my opinion.

granny_ring

It’ll be fitted to a SantaCruz Tallboy LT frame so dont know if you would categorise that as having a short or long mech hanger…..

neilwheel
    Free Member

Sorry, I can’t give you an exact dimension. From memory I have seen this issue mentioned in respect to Canfield, Canyon and Lapierre frames but this is definitely not a complete list

Best thing I can suggest is to have a general search, on all forums not just this one, for your frame and desired drivetrain setup, see if any results come up, positive or negative.

granny_ring

Thanks, good shout.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘SLX or XT Shadow+ rear mech?’ is closed to new replies.