Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • SLX or XT brakes
  • graeme87
    Free Member

Is it worth paying the extra £35 for a set of XT or are the slx just as good?

easygirl

Slx just as good
    Got both and no difference in braking power

matt22
    Free Member

I’ve got XT and my other mates got SLX and theres nothing in it except mine cost more which meant saving for longer to get a dropper post

thegeneralist
    Free Member

get SLX
    I just got two sets of XT and don’t think they’re as good

BoomBip

Alternatively, quite a few threads on here suggest Deore’s as good as both – plus they’re ~£70 for a set 😯

graeme87
    Free Member

Cheers guys

svalgis
    Free Member

Go for Deore, IMO.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Same pads for all of them?

somouk
    Free Member

I’ve just put a new set of SLX on my bike and they’re amazing. Easily as good as the XTs I used to run on an older bike that was tea leafed.

Shackleton

The SLX on my other halves bike are just as good as my XTs in terms of power but the XTs feel slightly nicer. But not enough to make me buy XTs again.

wolfenstein
    Free Member

SLX not shiny lever reservoir, XT shiny ..its the only difference

pmf170170
    Free Member

Having a split pin retaining the pads on the SLX is a deal breaker for me. I can see that this could cause issues if changing the pads on the trail, especially in colder weather.

sparrowcar
    Free Member

In all the years I’m biking I’ve never known anyone who’s needed to change brake pads on the trail.
    Surely that would mean you are badly prepared and don’t maintain your bike correctly?

singlespeedstu

Having a split pin retaining the pads on the SLX is a deal breaker for me.

£1.79 sorts that out. 🙂

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-br-m785-pad-axle-snap-ring/

torsoinalake
    Free Member

You can fit threaded pins to the SLX brakes if you so desire.

Edit: too late

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

In all the years I’m biking I’ve never known anyone who’s needed to change brake pads on the trail.
    Surely that would mean you are badly prepared and don’t maintain your bike correctly?

ride somewhere muddy, or gritty, and you might well need to change pads during the ride.

I remember reading about a race at Swinley when the weather was bad, some people went through all their spare pads during the race and then had to give up before the end due to having no spares left. The grit at Swinley is evil.

tomd
    Free Member

The SLX split pins are fine to change on the trail. It’s easy to bend them with a tyre level to take them in and out. Also, spare splits pins are £2 per 100 so no bother carrying a spare or two. I’ve only really had to change pads on the trail for really long foul weather rides in gritty places.

firestarter
    Free Member

Deore +1

rocketman
    Free Member

Is it worth paying the extra £35 for a set of XT or are the slx just as good?

Hmmm tricky one. Like everyone says functionally there’s no difference but having owned both I prefer the XTs. The fittings and fasteners are better on the XTs and the lever has a more precise feel. Shimano have done a great job on saving a few quid here and there on the SLXs and in isolation you’d never know but parked next to the XTs they’re not as nice.

£35? Hmmmmmmmmm

jim25

Xts, for me. You get the finned pads and tool free lever adjustment.

sparrowcar
    Free Member

ride somewhere muddy, or gritty, and you might well need to change pads during the ride.
    I remember reading about a race at Swinley when the weather was bad, some people went through all their spare pads during the race and then had to give up before the end due to having no spares left. The grit at Swinley is evil.

Ha Ha, I live in Ireland. We have 4-5 hours of summer a year 🙂
    I’m surprised by that to be honest, maybe I don’t use my brakes enough 8)

cultsdave
    Free Member

Power wise there is no difference.
    XT’s have free stroke adjustment – it seams to do nothing though!
    They have a wee knob for adjusting lever reach on the fly slx need an allen key.
    Xt’s have ceramic pistons dunno if this makes a difference.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

They have a wee knob for adjusting lever reach on the fly slx need an allen key.

Nope. SLXs have a lever reach adjuster. Deore need an allen key.

mindmap3
    Free Member

There’s not much in it really.

I have XT’s on one bike and Deores on the other and if I’m honest, the Deores seem pretty much as powerful and have a better lever feel. I’ve never noticed the lack of tool free reach adjustment either. The Deore and SLX brakes deal with crashed better too becasue they don’t have the raise lettering. My XT’s look pretty beaten up after a coupld of crashes.

gogg
    Free Member

XT are a bit more bling and have air-con and leather seats. Would you choose a GT over an L model on the car for a little more comfort?

Deore – Cortina
    SLX – Cortina Deluxe
    XT – Cortina Super
    XTR – Cortina GT
    Saint – Cortina 1600E

All links are to pair deals at my LBS

Brake-neck
    Free Member

Have tried all three, went with SLX as just as good as XT with the aforementioned aesthetic details. Deore are great for the cash but overheat and lose the lever.
    Ice tech rotors and finned pads DO make a difference as one bike has nuke proof pads/standard rotors, other has icetech stuff and way better. With the nuke/standard I have to pump the lever to get a brake towards the end of a 10 min descent.

steel4real
    Free Member

Good prices gogg – but you missed out Zee from your advert.

gogg
    Free Member

Couldn’t find a cortina model to compare it with….

😉

philfive
    Free Member

Lotus Cortina

gogg
    Free Member

Thought about the Lotus, but couldn’t make my mind up if that was the XTR or the Saint?

Personally I went for a set of formula RX that Pete had on offer having used SLX before (and been pretty happy with them, but felt that a change was as good as a rest).

pmf170170
    Free Member

When it is wet in the Peaks, you can easily go through a set of pads on a ride. As you ride through a puddle of what appears to be clear water you can hear the grit grinding away at the pads and goodness knows what else. It’s a great area to ride though.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘SLX or XT brakes’ is closed to new replies.