Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • SLX or Sram X9
  • si_brodiebikes
    Free Member

i can’t decide what groupset to put on our next demo bike.

SLX is getting good reviews and i have yet to try it, but X9 can be had for similar money, is it lighter and or better? I would use the new Avid elixir brakes with the Sram stuff, what are they like compared to SLX brakes?

Your thoughts appreciated!

Badgerpoo
    Free Member

I thought X9 was the equivalent of XT, so would probably be better overall. That said I’d rather have the Shimano as I don’t get on with SRAM. Swings and roundabouts really.

johnikgriff
    Free Member

Depends on what bike. I have run x9 for the last few years and foud it reliable, but a lot of the guys I ride with are slowly changing to SLX and are very impressed with it. I’ve recently gone XTR and am impressed how well the SLX compares to that. If its a more XC bike possibly go X9 or if its more All Mountain/freeride go SLX. IMO

bland

Sram breaks all the time – END!

trailmonkey

I agree with bland. Shimano breaks all the time.

bland

hmm, thats complete disagreement trailmonkey???

Hairychested
    Free Member

Shimano brakes, gears and shifters plus cranks. Sram chains, cassettes, mechs if used with gripshift. If you want the I feel like fingering sensation go for Shimano. If you like to grip and feel it in your hand than Gripshift. Sram triggers are like Jordan – a lot of plastic.

retro83
    Free Member

Sram breaks all the time – END!

I agree with bland. Shimano breaks all the time.

I have 50% of each and it breaks all the time 🙁

Highly recommend SLX regardless, really good kit.

matt_outandabout

I really liked the X9 and X7 stuff I was running on the Niner – nice n positive, and now I swapped back to Shimano SLX, i noticed I am using the ‘double way’ clicks a lot, depending on whether I am braking or pedalling.

FWIW, I prefer Shimano overall.

Hairychested
    Free Member

Si, why don’t you build the frame you’re trying to sell with SLX stuff and post it to me? I’ll ride it for a month and send it back with feedback. Then you can rebuild it with SRAM and we’ll do the same. By the end of May you’ll have answers. No stress [img]http://www.addemoticons.com/emoticon/crazy/AddEmoticons00526.gif[/img]

BearBack
    Free Member

Shimano with 2-way release shifters.. covers both shifting styles?

si_brodiebikes
    Free Member

nice one guys, thanks for the input!

hairychested, no worries send me a cheque first for 1 billiiiiiioooonn pounds and you have a deal

Hairychested
    Free Member

On its way 😉

cynic-al
    Free Member

No flies on Si for his marketing!!!

rs
    Free Member

hairychested, no worries send me a cheque first for 1 billiiiiiioooonn pounds and you have a deal

Jeez! They weren’t joking when they said the price of metal had went up a bit! 😯

si_brodiebikes
    Free Member

cynic-al, you are putting your forum name to well use 🙂

I was ‘genuinely’ interested to hear what people had to say about the difference between 2 different group sets, maybe you could have chipped in?

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘SLX or Sram X9’ is closed to new replies.