Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • SLX M665 double and bash > single ring conversion?
  • deviant
    Free Member

I have an old style double and bash lying around that Shimano originally made for their 9-speed drivetrains but it works fine with a 10-speed setup I’ve run in the past….what I’m thinking of doing is turning it into a one-up system now the XT 11-speed stuff is so cheap.

I have a N/W chainring from Uberbike in the correct 104 BCD, is it simply a case of removing the 22 and 36 rings and fitting the new one?….will I be able to retain the bash guard this crankset came with?

Just want to know if anyone has done this with the M665 before I butcher a perfectly good and seemingly indestructible crankset!

yunki
    Free Member

I use that crankset for SS and 1×9

Chuck the horrible bashguard away though, it weighs nearly as much as a bag of spuds

conkers
    Free Member

I use those cranks 1*10 on my hardtail and 1*11 xt on full sus both with superstar NW rings.
    No butchery required except maybe cutting chainring bolts shorter if you want to lose the bashring and don’t want to buy some shorter bolts.
    They are essentially a triple with the bash using the big ring position.

deviant
    Free Member

Many thanks gentlemen, I’ll get to work on it then.

dlb80
    Free Member

Not 100% on this but I don’t think you can fit smaller than 34 tooth up front with slx, this may not be a problem for you tho.

faustus

Yup, middle ring position will give the desired chain line.

EDIT – i have a 32 n/w on mine so should be fine, you could prob go 30 too

yunki
    Free Member

fine with a 32 tooth here

rocketman
    Free Member

Used to have a Saint double + bash

It was simply a case of removing the 22 and 36 rings and fitting a n/w with some e-thirteen single ring bolts IN GOLD wohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

bigjim

30 on mine with inner ring bolts, all good.

dlb80
    Free Member

Ok, my mistake. Pay no attention

chiefgrooveguru

Here’s one on my hardtail – only ever used it for single ring 10 speed duties (thought it still had the bash on the previous bike).

deviant
    Free Member

Cheers CGG, that’s what I had in mind.

tomaso
    Free Member

30 tooth 104 BCD ring on my old double and bash slx cranks all paired with XT 1×11 speed.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘SLX M665 double and bash > single ring conversion?’ is closed to new replies.