Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • SLX Hub problem. Can you help?
  • HansRey

Hi,

My M667 Front Hub has given up. It doesn't turn freely so i guess that it's a bearing problem. However, this only happens when the wheel is clamped in (maxle), otherwise it rotates around the axis very easily when the maxle is extremely loose.

I aren't overtightening the maxle, there isn't anything wrong with caliper/rotor alignment and none of the spokes are broken or misaligned.

It makes a sound as if spokes are hitting something and it takes great effort to turn. It's been used for about 16hrs in dry conditions from new.

Is it buggered, or does it need an overhaul? WDYT?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Are the cup and cone hubs? If so I'd wager it's a loose cone and it's tightened down on the bearings. I've seen this a few times recently, although only on rears….

HansRey

seems fine on the right side, but i can't access the rotor side as i haven't got a centrelock tool. Hmm, i'll try to source some thin spanners and a C-L tool and give it a go, cheers

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

CL tool is the same as a cassette tool, in case you didn't realise. 🙂

cynic-al
    Free Member

Not the OS ones!

It makes a sound as if spokes are hitting something and it takes great effort to turn

I'd be investigating this!

HansRey

is it? ah, good. Well, i still haven't got one. I may well get buy one then… Cheers

BigGraham
    Free Member

20mm SLX hubs use external b/b tool to tighten/loosen the centre lock thingy – not sure bout the 15mm ones tho.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Ahh, sorry for the bad info! 😳

HansRey

ok, yes you're right. It's the same size as my BB. I'll order one and have a look inside, hopefully it's nothing more than dry, squished bearings… Otherwise there's going to be another shimano rant from me coming to your local cinema very soon…. 😀

julianwilson
    Free Member

Aaaaargh, shimano 20mm hubs!! Be warned, you need a massive cone spanner like this and even more massive normal spanner to get it open. If its anything like my 2, it'll be done up 'bastid tight' too…. Then the balls will be in plastic retaining cages you have to break in two to remove. And with no spanner flats on the other side of the axle its very hard to get it all to stay together properly again afterwards. I have resorted to cutting a small slot in mine so I can hold it still to tighten the cone/lockring properly.

Definitely not one of shimano's better moments!

BigGraham
    Free Member

Haven't pulled mine apart yet but have a feeling that L/H (disc side) is fixed to axle and just the r/h side adjusts thats what it looks like in exploded diagram anyway http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/techdocs/content/cycle/EV/bikecomponents/HB/EV-HB-M667-2821B_v1_m56577569830677323.pdf so if cone is buggered might need a new axle? – wondering if I should throw some grease in mine now as shimano seem a bit tight with the stuff in new hubs!

stonemonkey
    Free Member

Hans Ray i have a centre lock tool and the 20mm cone spanner and based in crookes, give me a shout if you want.

HansRey

hey stonemonkey, would i be free to come by tonight to pick them up? What's your address? I'm v.near to the Old Grindstone and Noah's Ark. Email in profile if you prefer

stonemonkey
    Free Member

Hi , i am out watching the footy tonight but tomorrow is fine , i'll send you an email tomorrow but if i forget mine is in my profile too. Im only up the road by the punchbowl

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘SLX Hub problem. Can you help?’ is closed to new replies.