Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • SLX hanger bolt loosening ?
  • simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I fitted a new SLX rear mech for the first time about 5 months ago. Some while later I noticed it wobbling and found the bolt that holds it to the hanger was loose, so I told myself I was a limp wristed numpty and tightened it up. I've just put my bike together and found it loose again, though I know I did it up as tight as seemed sensible – anyone else had one work loose ?

gusamc
    Free Member

never had anything work loose

decent torque wrench/manual

loctite torqseal etc – thread locking products.

cut, sprung washer *depends on fitting and may not be suitable

Tip – get an old nut and bolt (you don't need and of no use), and big spanner and keep tightening it till you get that sickening feel when it suddenly goes from v hard to turn to free rotation, remember that feeling before applying brute force and ignorance.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

remember that feeling before applying brute force and ignorance.

done that, been there 🙂

I've fitted probably 20 mechs to date without any of them loosening, but this is a new type and slightly different, though presumably Shimano would have fitted a washer if it was needed.

scaredypants

how old's your frame simon – maybe threads are worn ?
    replaceable hanger ?

nickc

Hmmm, my XT loosened off as well, only happened once, but I've kept an eye on it ever since. I don't think it's actually a problem if you catch it, but it's a bit annoying. Bit of locktite?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

how old's your frame simon – maybe threads are worn ?

the hanger is about 6 months old.
    What's interesting is that this type is actually easier to tighten, as it's not coaxial with the tension spring, which on the SLX is displaced to the rear on a short bracket.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

just threadlock it?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

just threadlock it?

well I might, if I can find some, but none of my unthreadlocked bolts undo themselves…

paulosoxo
    Free Member

it shouldn't, but it's probably more hassle than it's worth to find out exactly why it is.

pinches
    Free Member

if you need to use some threadlock simon let me know i've got some i can lend you a bit

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

if you need to use some threadlock simon let me know i've got some i can lend you a bit

cheers :o)

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘SLX hanger bolt loosening ?’ is closed to new replies.