• This topic has 12 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by Goz.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • SLX chainring durability or lack of
  • Dimmadan
    Free Member

I have a 2009 Trek EX8 that came fitted with a nice SLX chainset and have just noticed that after 600 miles all of the teeth are dead apart from the odd 2 or 3 on each ring.

I tend to be a slogger rather than a spinner so dont really use middle ring as much as big but was surprised to see teeth missing all over.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is this poor quality rings or is 600 a good distance to cover on a set of shimano rings?

I have a Truvativ Comp-G chainset on my Giant that has done 1500 miles and they are near perfect with no teeth missing.

Any idea what rings will last longer that will fit as they need to be replaced?
    Shimano SLX M660 44/32/22

cheers

nickc

You do know that some teeth are missing in order to aid shifting? Chainsets normally wear by hooking the teeth rather that just wearing them away. I'd expect thousands of miles from a chainset

Dimmadan
    Free Member

I didnt know that. Should I be looking for some form of pattern in the teeth?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    nickc

Have a close look, you'll see a series of pins and cut outs on the inside faces of the outer and middle rings, that'll be where the lower profile teeth are, only the inner is just stamped out.

Dimmadan
    Free Member

I see what you mean as there a profile grooves on the inner rings, but I still have a few teeth side by side that are really only half a tooth.

nickc

This a well worn chain ring. Notice how the teeth are wave shaped? Rings are worn down like this by the rollers of chains. Is this what your's look like?

Dimmadan
    Free Member

Vary similar, but to that extreme

AlasdairMc

The SLX mid ring is a steel/composite ring, the shifting teeth should correspond to the black composite ramps on the body of the chainring. This means that you should see the cut down teeth at roughly the same position with respect to the composite bits all the way round the ring.

Hope this helps.

EDIT – and you can replace the rings when they wear out with Deore rings as they're fully compatible, last ages and are a good deal cheaper.

grumm
    Free Member

Are you having any problems with shifting or the chain slipping?

Dimmadan
    Free Member

Very occasional slipping (twice a ride) and the odd missfire.

nickc

Nowt wrong with those rings, miles and miles left in them

Dimmadan
    Free Member

Sweet cheers, must be a missfire from the XT Shadow rear mech.

Goz
    Free Member

On some of the Fuels ive seen the last section of outer casing to the mech has been to short…giving the occaisional indexing problem.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘SLX chainring durability or lack of’ is closed to new replies.