Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • SLX Brakes – good and reliable? users and opinions please
  • Vortexracing

Trying to locate a set of K18 or K24 formula brakes for the new DB Alpine but struggling to find some at the right price.

So i’ve seen some of the SLX brakes on Merlin.

A mate has some new XT brakes on his orange Alpine and loves them, I was wondering who else uses them and what do you think. As well as that are they reliable?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Shimano are universally rated for reliability. I have two sets.

grievoustim
    Free Member

i have some from merlin – very good so far

steve_b77
    Free Member

I have some Deore ones on my Handjob and they’re great, very reliable in all conditions.

How do Hayes Stroker Trails float your boat, they’re also very very good.

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

The lever feel is rather soft compared to previous Shimano brakes I’ve used. Supposed to be tricky to bleed too. But really pleased with mine.

dave_aber
    Free Member

Just started using a set of SLXs. Have removed some Juicy 7’s. The 7’s worked OK, but were very on/off. The SLXs in comparison feel ever so slightly soft when doing a driveway test. However, they are a huge improvement in real use. Round Laggan the other day they were excellent – I didn’t have any worry about them at all. They were good to the point that I did comment “thank **** I swapped these for those bloody Avids”.

Can’t comment on reliability so far, but as Cynic-al says, they are usually faultless. My old 4-pot XTs on t’other bike have been.

turnip
    Free Member

great apart from the resin pads. Binned them and fitted superstar and they work much better now

HantsNightRider
    Free Member

Very pleased with my SLX, 3 months in all going well

DustyLilac
    Free Member

Bought some from Merlin end of January – more than happy, great lever feel, plenty of power when you need it (180F/160R), shortened the hoses with no need to bleed.

MrCrushrider
    Free Member

yep had mine since november (i think) – excellent brakes

retro83
    Free Member

+1
    Mine were a complete arse to bleed for some reason. The last cheeky little bit of air just would not come out!

Since I got that sorted I’ve been 100% happy with them.

Shack
    Free Member

Mine have been fine, far more powerful than my Hope mono minis. If weight is an issue go for the K18s, SLX’s are heavy.

rocket
    Free Member

Your post just reminded me I was meaning to put mine up in the classifieds. I post here purely as a public service announcement – apologies if inappropriate 🙂

BNIB F&R SLX brakes for sale in classifieds

Vortexracing

what length is the front hose/

alpin
    Free Member

they were the first set of brakes i have bled but, by the secone brake it was a doddle.

have the old deore and would say there is even more modulation. lever is soft and the full power comes on at the end of the stroke. you can adjust the sitting position of the lever but found that the lack of bite point adjustment isn’t an issue. remove wheel and pads. open top cap of lever. squeeze lever to encourage pistons out a little. top up with oil. close everyting off and refit.

found it tightened up the braking – shorter lever stroke.

will swap the pads over a i got rear covered in oil and replaced with some no-name brand which seem better so will use them on the front.

+1…….don’t think you can really go wrong with any of the shimano brakes.

+1 for formula too. nice design whereas shimano is all very functional. italian vs japanese design, think nissan and alfa but on the other hand you have italian vs japanese engineering…… not heard bad things about formula though and said to have very good heat resistance.

Vortexracing

I have already got 2 x sets of Formula K18’s and I am more than happy with them, hence the reason for wanting to find some more. It’s just they are all at full price.

The fact that I got mine form Merlin at £140 inc rotors means that anything above that I see as expensive. They aren’t it just seems that way after getting such a good deal.

Andyhilton
    Free Member

Very good. I have had mine since August last year and they have never been enything less than excellent. I have M970 brakes on my hardtail and there is not much difference tbh.

nuttysquirrel
    Free Member

I am in the same boat – love my K18s and bought a bike so I could take them off! Cheapest route overall.

I was thinking of getting SLXs or XTs from Merlin. Would it be possible to interchange the wheels where necessary? I think the rotors are the same size so it should be all okay, shouldn’t it?

MrCrushrider
    Free Member

update on my comment – after the first seriously wet ride ive done with mine – they have appeared to lose some power – the bars was coming almost back to the bar by the end of the ride (whih unfortunately was cavedale!)

had them since november and they will be getting their first bleed tonight.

anyone know if the OEM pads could have had an effect like the above? there is still about 50% padlife left.

ta

Ben

poppa
    Free Member

Pads should not affect how far your lever moves. If you have a problem with your pads, you should get a firm lever feel just no stopping power.

MrCrushrider
    Free Member

hmmm thought so – i’ll get them sorted tonight. the bleeding process looks easy enough.

poppa
    Free Member

Just be sure to remove the pads and probably rotors too – I managed to make a right mess with the oil despite the apparent simplicity of the task.

Pauly

SLX felt very wooden in comparison with my other Shimano brakes; new XT and old Saint. Didn’t rate them at all, so seem to be swimming against the tide of opinion here.

zaskar
    Free Member

Use a 180mm disc on the front!

Pauly

Is that info for me?

MrCrushrider
    Free Member

just to confirm – bleeding them is very easy and quick!

Rockplough
    Free Member

Got a 180/160 SLX setup with XTR rotors. I think they’re brilliant. They’ve survived a heavy crash too.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘SLX Brakes – good and reliable? users and opinions please’ is closed to new replies.