Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • SLX brakes – cheaper than £99.99 anywhere?
  • rob-jackson
    Free Member

that price on merlin – anywhere cheaper for a pair? no need for rotors or mounts

satchm00
    Free Member

Have a look on Rose, might be cheaper.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

need em before xmas day

bikeneil
    Free Member

You could always support your local bike shop?

rob-jackson
    Free Member

I could but seeing as neither stock shimano i would be pissing in the ind quite frankly, but thanks for your input ….

Mackem

That’s damn cheap, cheaper than I got second hand a year ago. Good brakes, just get em bought.

ash258369
    Free Member

Doubt you’ll get them any cheaper. Just got some deore brakes £40 in Halfords if that helps

pdw
    Free Member

I’m only seeing them for £109 on Merlin. What’s your secret?

andyl
    Free Member

£10 off vouchers in the latest email?

If you are anywhere near Bristol I’ve got a set here still in their bags I don’t need anymore.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

How much posted

BigR

The deore brakes I presume was £40 for one whereas the SLX is for a set.

andyl
    Free Member

can’t really see me economically getting them to you before Xmas now. Especially as it would most likely mean risking sending something with fluid in by Royal Mail!

duckman

If the op doesn’t want them,I would be interested

Rsdonald50@Hotmail.com

adrec
    Free Member

Merlin are also doing a full slx group for 275 with the discount codes in the last email. If you could be bothered with the faff, I’m sure you could flog the rest of the group on here for 200 quid. Someone would be gettin a bargain if they don’t need the stopper on their new build.

With regards to the lbs comment, I’ve got no sympathy with lbs putting them on sale for 150 and coming out with the whole ‘we can’t even buy them for that’ argument. Merlin can, and so can my buddy who’s in the industry, so I know Merlin don’t buy from magic elves. I’d happily pay a 10% premium on anything to my lbs, but not 50%

tomglass20
    Free Member

Check out my PSA coming up at 46 each end

andyl
    Free Member

tbh OP you may as well get them from Merlin as they will do next day DPD for an extra £4.50 (or RM special).

(I’d be after £90 (after postage and fees) really as they are brand new and cost me more than Merlin above 🙁 any cheaper and I’d rather keep them for spares.)

Coyote
    Free Member

next day DPD

Good luck with that if you want something quick. Bunch of lying wasters. Avoid.

bol

I’ve got no sympathy with lbs putting them on sale for 150 and coming out with the whole ‘we can’t even buy them for that’ argument. Merlin can, and so can my buddy who’s in the industry, so I know Merlin don’t buy from magic elves.

But they’re telling you the truth. My LBS has pretty much given up on selling higher end groupsets. It isn’t unusual for them to supply everything else and build it up with a group that the customer has picked up from Merlin. If they could get near the price they would – and do for most other things. Everyone has to make a profit to survive. Thankfully there is still money in building and servicing bikes and selling mainstream brands who control their prices.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

With regards to the lbs comment, I’ve got no sympathy with lbs putting them on sale for 150 and coming out with the whole ‘we can’t even buy them for that’ argument. Merlin can, and so can my buddy who’s in the industry, so I know Merlin don’t buy from magic elves. I’d happily pay a 10% premium on anything to my lbs, but not 50%

You think a ~35% gross margin is unreasonable on something like that? How many set of brakes do you think your LBS sells to work on something smaller?

Merlin can buy them cheap because they buy a huge amount of OE kit, or clearance items from distributors. The catch is you have to commit to huge volumes. You think your LBS has a slush fund of £500k to be able to do that? Then has the customer base to shift 500+ groupsets to?

The high end P&A market for your average LBS is literally f*cked, hence why you don’t see it in stock. Why would you bother?

banks
    Free Member

XT brakes 66 quid on CRC, mine came within 24 hrs 🙂

adrec
    Free Member

If the lbs had any common sense, they’d order in the item from Merlin and stick 10% on top. The reason they don’t turn over the stock is that you’d only pay the prices they charge if you had absolutely no other option.

dirk_pumpa
    Free Member

Maybe you should open a bike shop and show everyone else how to do it?

aphex_2k
    Free Member

That’s a bit harsh. He already said his LBS doesn’t stock them. Does your shop?

sandal100

Use the merlin vouchers and buy through quidco for 2% cashback?

zippykona

If the lbs had any common sense, they’d order in the item from Merlin and stick 10% on top. The reason they don’t turn over the stock is that you’d only pay the prices they charge if you had absolutely no other option.

So for £10 profit you have to put £110 through the till. The vat man will want his cut of £22 . It will also affect your official government projected profit margin which will flag you up to customs and excise and may result in the visit from hell.
    Yeah ,this shop keeping lark is just a licence to print money.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘SLX brakes – cheaper than £99.99 anywhere?’ is closed to new replies.