Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • SLX brake spares
  • konaboy2275
    Free Member

Does anyone know if I can get new seals etc for my SLX calipers?

sobriety
    Free Member

Not as far as i’m aware, shimano only sell complete replacement calipers, which is their only downside really, but one i’m happy to accept.

konaboy2275
    Free Member

Not been too pleased with mine, the rear is permanently spongy despite bleeding and the front wails like a cat in a food blender!

Seem to have endless bother with hydraulic discs at the mo, looking at maybe some Hope tech x2’s but not sure if they’ll be any better (I had a set of Hope mini’s when they first came out and they kept seizing up).

My basic deore brakes on the other hand are nearly five years old and have never been touched, still going strong and probably used more than any of my other brakes.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

You can bet your arse that if you put the effort into dismantling the brakes and measuring the seals, you could source them from an industrial seal supplier.

konaboy2275
    Free Member

Yeh, had thought of looking but I’ve just found a full set of Juicy 3’s with rotors for £89 at merlin, time and effort and all that!

The hope’s do look nice though…

Fortunateson09
    Free Member

You can bet your arse that if you put the effort into dismantling the brakes and measuring the seals, you could source them from an industrial seal supplier.

In my experience, Shimano are a big enough company that they can get away with having their own bespoke seals, bearings etc. that are jussstt outside the tolerances of ones you can get from industrial suppliers. Bastards.
    If the calipers are knackered though, I suppose it’s worth a shot.

trail_rat
    Free Member

good luck with that – me and coatsey both tried

the seal is a standard square seal – very easy to find … it has a moulded lip seal on the front which makes em impossible to find.

i tried some standard square seals to see if by chance they worked … a sieve would have held in more oil !

konaboy2275
    Free Member

Seems a bit of a waste to scrap a full calliper just for the sake of a seal especially as they haven’t been used that much. Partly why I’m looking at the hope ones as spares are available, just the initial outlay that is putting me off, and long term reliability. I don’t want to buy something that has spares available because it needs repairing all the time, if that makes sense!

jonba
    Free Member

I’ve had a poor experience with SLX and am trying to get my money back under warranty so I can get something more reliable. I had two calipers go within 7 months from new.

New calipers are available and cheapish if your brakes are older. I thought the same thing about hope brakes but don’t really want the initial outlay, especially as mine are to go onto a cheap singlespeed.

uplink
    Free Member

For a comparison, please see this thread

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘SLX brake spares’ is closed to new replies.