• This topic has 12 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by Yak.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • SLX Brake – replace seals and fluid or new brake
  • hora
    Free Member

A new brake is £41. If I replace the seals/fluid what are the chances of the brake being optimal/the same again? I’m not a bin and buy new type but are SLX brakes really fully serviceable? The oil was black and there was a leak somewhere (can’t determine where).

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

It’s Shimano, which in my 25 years experience means works faultlessly until it eventually fails, then is pretty well non-serviceable. Other end of the spectrum to Hope stuff.

Sounds like spares bin time.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

but are SLX brakes really fully serviceable?

Dunno where you’ve heard that, but shimano brakes are pretty much the epitome of not serviceable.

IIRC the caliper seals are a non-standard (shimano only) shape and not available aftermarket.

Onzadog
    Free Member

See if you can find a seal kit for them, then ask the question.

Yak

a leak somewhere (can’t determine where).

If your pads aren’t squealing with poor stopping/ and fine dust on the caliper, then it’s likely to be at the lever end. Just replace that.

P-Jay
    Free Member

As above, I’ve had a few Shimano brake bits fail, it’s just not worth trying to fix them unless it’s very easy/obvious. They’re disposable parts really.

You can take some comfort from the fact that they sell levers and callipers seperatey and they’re often cheaper than say Avid or Hope charge just for their seal kits and you don’t have to piss about with horrible Dot fluid.

hora
    Free Member

The problem is the bleed nut at the caliper end isnt tightening up, just spinning and the metal internal plate in the lever side isn’t sitting flush. The brakes are two years old and were warranty replacements. I guess I’ve had enough use out of them but the issue is its internally fouted so hassle to fit a new one again!

Kahurangi

You could always buy a new set then connect new caliper and lever to the old (internally routed) hose?

You’ve resigned yourself to bleeding them anyway!

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

What he said ^^^^ the internally routed hose will be fine once it’s had a dribble of clean oil run through it.
    New caliper and lever and you’re done.

Or you could use the old hose to drag the new hose through the frame. I’ve done that before now.

On the other hand, if you’ve managed to strip a bleed nipple on 2 year old brakes (so you’ve used it 3 or 4 times at most) i’d take it to a bike shop……

eemy
    Free Member

Buy a new one. Sell the old one for £15 spares or repair and sell the finned pads you get with the new one for a tenner. Then instead of buying any beer or crisps this weekend, don’t. And hey presto you effectvely have a new brake for nothing.

It makes sense to me and George Osborne

bigyinn
    Free Member

So you’ve stripped the bleed nipple thread?
    Is the bleed nipple or the caliper thread stripped?
    Not sure what plate you’re on about though.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

There is a thin metal plate over the hole in the bottom of the lever reservoir.

And i’d put money on it being the aluminium caliper thats stripped rather than the steel bleed nipple….

Yak

+1 as above. re-use the hose. New lever and caliper.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘SLX Brake – replace seals and fluid or new brake’ is closed to new replies.