Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • SLX Bashring
  • mikey74
    Free Member

Does anyone have any experience of how resilient they are? I have a set of the cranks but was toying with the idea of swapping the shimano bash for the Race Face one I already have.

ozzybmx
    Free Member

They look crap , change it out for the raceface ! They are also heavy lumps of black plastic cheese , you raceface will be sweet.

jimmy

I’d keep the SLX…

Errrm, is the race face for sale? 😉

What I’m trying to say is, from purely aesthetic reasons (being a tart) I’d swap them over. But if you decide to keep the SLX then I’m in the market for a 36t bash guard to swap mine over.

Otherwise, if you have a spare, whaddya got to lose by keeping the SLX on? If it breaks, swap it then but I’m sure they’ve done their research into tuffness.

ozzybmx
    Free Member

Jimmy , get a bashy from http://www.bbgbashguard.com/

Lifetime free replacment warranty and 1/4 of the price of any others ! also come in colours other than black , and come in lite weight too . I have a normal weight red one on my SLX doubles.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

If you’re bothered about how a bash ring looks, then you don’t really need one, do you? They are there to be abused in my book, not to look good.
    Smash the SLX one up first, then fit the other one. Pointless doing anything else
    🙂

ozzybmx
    Free Member

poddy , buy a BBG and ebay the shimano , the $25 i got for the cheese on ebay paid for the BBG and $5 in the sky rocket.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I’ve got a Truvative one…. Cheapest I could find. I don’t have SLX cranks though.
    🙂

ozzybmx
    Free Member

Have you looked at the BBG ones ?

chakaping
    Free Member

SLX bashring isn’t that fragile, the problem with them is the fixing bolts.

They don’t actually grip the bash, so they can easily pop out, leading to a loose ring – and nobody wants one of those.

The bash doesn’t actually fall off, because the crankarm and middle ring hold it in place, but it’s easy to wobble it about with your hand.

I’ve swapped the one on my Big Hit for an e13 I had already, but am keeping the SLX on my Reign as it doesn’t really seem to cause any harm.

thomthumb
    Free Member

mine has taken some pretty decent knocks and not failed – it’s a hell of a lot lighter than the e13 as well.

keep it down ozzy. 🙄

ozzybmx
    Free Member

keep it down ozzy.

what ??

I am not saying it doent do the job , i said i looks shit !!!! if he has a raceface change it out .

jimmy

leading to a loose ring – and nobody wants one of those.

chunter

ozzybmx
    Free Member

BTW the shimano ring weighs exactly 149g …. i believe the supercharger and turbocharger from e.thirteen are lighter …so you must be special thomthumb !

FuzzyWuzzy

So which version on the BBG site do I need to replace my SLX bash (and do I need to faff about finding different length bolts)?

mikey74
    Free Member

Anyone know the weight of the Race Face bash?

ozzybmx
    Free Member

Na mate , same bolts are fine , its a 104 BCD for 36T .

Heres my before and after with a normal spec red one.

Before

After

stilltortoise
    Free Member

If you’re bothered about how a bash ring looks, then you don’t really need one, do you? They are there to be abused in my book, not to look good.

😆 🙄
    I used to think like that and had one of those awful looking cheap Truvativ jobbies too. Thankfully one impact too many cracked it and now I have a much better looking (albeit much dearer) e13.

thomthumb
    Free Member

ronald macdonald called:

he wants his bike back!! 😀

ozzybmx
    Free Member

So he has your number on his speed dial 😀

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I used to think like that and had one of those awful looking cheap Truvativ jobbies too

I think it looks great. It’s black with some subtle bronze/brown graphics and mathces my bike nicely. It’s taken a few knocks so far and is fine.
    🙂
    Personally I shied away from the E13 ones because I thought they looked naff. Sorry, but there you go….. 🙂

stilltortoise
    Free Member

fair point PP, yours is one of the prettier Truvativs. Mine was considerably less stylish. Do you have any issues with the guard being severely flared away from the middle ring? I found I was quite regularly losing my chain down there. Not had the problem once with the much flusher fitting e13

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

No, I’ve never lost the chain between the ring and bashring. I fact it *just* touches the bashring and rubs a bit in top gear. I can live with that.
    🙂

I like Truvative and FSA finishing kit. I’ve always found it cheap, reliable and just as good as anything else. I’ve got/had bars, seatposts, stems, bashguards, chainrings etc. All good.

ozzybmx
    Free Member

Whats the bike pete a stumpy ?

Any bashy will do the job , i actually dont mind the e.thirteen’s either, it just nearly all come in black or black except for the e13’s and IMO they look very wannabe downhiller. BBG are hand made by 1 guy in his shed , they are cheap and look good .

Hey if you are happy with what you have , good . If you want to change it , you will get a load of options on here ….

cheers_drive

Anyone know the weight of the Race Face bash?

I weighed my RF one (36T)the other day, I can’t remember the exact figure but it was in the region of 160-180g. I’ve got a BBG one too which feels much lighter.

ozzybmx
    Free Member

I cant rem the exact figure but they are well under 100g , the superlights are under 60g …. hey im no weight weenie but theres no need to carry excess when its not needed.

88g rings a bell ?!?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Ozzy, it’s a Pitch Pro, so you’re fairly close.
    🙂

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I’ve never lost the chain between the ring and bashring

clearly I must have bought the design-fault then. It would explain why it was so cheap and brought from under the counter at a certain big bike shop in Cheshire 😕

ozzybmx
    Free Member

yeah so it is pete, should have known with the fox rp2 shock rather than the specialized one 😀

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

should have known with the fox rp2 shock rather than the specialized one

You mean, “Oh yes, I see you have a decent shock!”

😉

scuttler

@ Ozzybmx – not a big fan of pimpy bikes but loving that Nicolai!!

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘SLX Bashring’ is closed to new replies.