Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • SLX Bash guard on XT cranks
  • n3olp
    Free Member

My whole drivetrain was absolutely shot so needed new cassette, chain, jockey wheels, chain rings, the lot. I also needed a new wheel set. After much pondering on what to put on and if to change to 2×9 I came to the decision I’ll run 2×9 on with a PG990 cassette, 991 chain and try the superstar DHX wheel set.

I found someone selling a brand new SLX 36t chain ring with bash guard for £25 on here so snapped that up and purchased the 22t inner ring from CRC for £7.99, bargain I thought….

The bash guard doesn’t seem 2 fit my existing XT cranks. So I thought OK I’ll cut my losses and run without a bash guard but no, the bolts I have are too long.

My question is, can I fit the 36t chain ring on the outside of the cranks (where the bash guard should sit) or will the front derailleur not shift the chain that far? Or is there a way 2 split the crank arm off the part that hold the chain rings on then fit the bash guard and reassemble?

Here is a link to a couple of pictures http://db.tt/bTzwa04o

Or am I missing something really simple?

Cheers

Luke

danielgroves
    Free Member

Just go to your LBS and tell them what happening, they should be able to give you some bolts the right length for a £1/2. Or, if you really don’t want to spend any money grind them down so they’re short enough.

catfishsalesco
    Free Member

The SLX bashguard won’t fit on most cranks apart from the m665 cranks- the tabs on the cranks are narrower than most other chain sets and the tabs on the bash are longer. You could use single chainring bolts or fit another bash- however I would recommend getting the dedicated front mech for the m665 chainset if running it without the bash

steel4real
    Free Member

Hey up,

You probably don’t want to fit your 36T chain ring in the ‘outer’ position,sure the front mech will shift the chain there, but your inner ring, the 22T is foing to be a long way from it so you would have to shif the chain twice and over the mounting position of the ‘middle’ ring.

Plus your chain line will be very poor. You should fit it in the middle position.

If you don’t run a bash ring you can get single or twin chain ring bolts which are shorter than the standard ones you have rather thantry grinding.

That SLX bash isn’t compatible with all shimano cranksets – only SLX & Saint I think, maybe the newer XT’s. They moved the shoulders that the bash guard sits on even though the bolt PCD remained the same. I see Catfish above has beaten me to it and is correct.

Any other bash guard will fit those cranks.

Hope that all helps to explain but this is STW so expect conflicting opinions and so forth to follow 😉

singlespeedstu

I got a SLX bash to fit an XT crank with a bit of cutting and grinding to clear the crank arm.

Still no use though as the inner webbing on the bash catches the chain when it’s on the 36t ring.

n3olp
    Free Member

Thank you everyone for your responses. Looks like its down to the bike shop tomorrow for some shorter bolts. I was considering doing what singlespeedstu has done but now sounds like its not worth the effort. Any advise on which bash guard?

Thanks again

Luke

n3olp
    Free Member

After returning to work on Wednesday it was still bugging me that i couldn’t put my bike back together so…
    Lucky enough for me I work as an engineering company and after I had a quick measure of the cranks and the bash guard it would appear that the internal diameter for the bash guard is 86mm and the cranks are 88mm. Had a chance this evening to jump on a CNC machine and open out the diameter of the bash guard and have now put it back together.
    Will keep u posted to if it is successful or not though as singlespeedstu has already pre-warned me that he has had some experience with this issue.

n3olp
    Free Member

Not too sure why I cant get these pictures to load 🙁

n3olp
    Free Member

[/url]
    IMAG0581 by Luke Prescott, on Flickr[/img][/url]
    IMAG0582 by Luke Prescott, on Flickr[/img][/url]
    03/01/2012 by Luke Prescott, on Flickr[/img]

Dickyboy

Excellent work – wish I’d had access to a CNC machine when I was faced with the same problem 😕

andyl
    Free Member

FYI the shims inside the bolt holes on shimano bash guards make great spacers if your chainring bolts are too long and you are stuck.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘SLX Bash guard on XT cranks’ is closed to new replies.