Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • SLX 22-36 ring setup with bash guard. Anyone got them.?
  • neilsonwheels
    Free Member

What do think, any good.? Does the combo work.?

Feel free to post pics.

epicsteve
    Free Member

Works well on my BFe with an 11-34 cassette.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Standard mech I take it.?

jonnyrockymountain

Absolutly brill mine works and looks a treat buy the specific front mech as well though

thomthumb
    Free Member

22-36 works; it was on my slx but isn't now.

HTH

reggiegasket
    Free Member

can't see the point of triples nowadays

Shimano should do a XT version of the double and bash, and double mech.

And going 3×10 for the new XT/XTR is a big error in my book.

batman11
    Free Member

Another one here for the combo plus great crank arms to boot, just got another set of here today to build a 1×9 set up on my befe with a E13 xcx chainguide when they come back in stock.
    Plus MBR just gave it a 10 score in todays issue.

Bats.

nickc

can't see the point of triples nowadays

Going fast springs to mind. Lighter as well.

thomthumb
    Free Member

Going fast springs to mind. Lighter as well.

how can 3 rings be lighter than 2?

nickc

the outer ring (standard alu 44T) is something like 80g, a plastic bash like an E13 is about 200g, everything else stays the same…

reggiegasket
    Free Member

Going fast springs to mind.

On the road maybe. Not on any of the trails I do.

Lighter as well.

If you're bothered about weight then drop the bash. Most weenies run doubles these days – see Sram XX clean up.

nickc

Not on any of the trails I do.

why not? I can't think of any ride in the UK where I haven't used a big ring.

Not fit enough?

SRAM XX? waaay out of my price league.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

Not fit enough?

I'm almost tempted to respond to that.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I swapped my 36 for a standard 32. I found 36 to big to grind out in Lakes etc. I also found that you switched early to granny ring to avoid this. 32 works ok but you loose top speed. I usually use it for proper hills mountains.
    Yes I could use the 36 but I found it a compromise and a pain. 32 is just a compromise
    I use SLX double and works well
    32 cassette perhaps 36 is ok with a 34?

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Yes on by boardman team. Good combo as I don't miss the 44 and shifting to the 22 earliers is not an issue on a hard tail. The cranks look lovely but the bash is ugly so I may take mine off when I can be bothered. I have a triple mech which rubs a bit as the cage is narrower than the double mech.

D0NK

I just switched to 22/36 with an 11-32 cassette, I'm not 100% sold on it yet but think it'll be reet. If you are on a big ride and you wanna preserve your legs 36×32 is too big for climbing and you end up switching to granny a lot more than usual i.e. as soon as the trail starts going upwards. For shorter rides just MTFU and gurn a bit more and save the granny for proper climbs. I only used my 44t outer a few times mainly road with the odd dirt road descent, rest of the time it was just grinding away on rocks. I really can't think of any good* downhills smooth and fast enough to pedal down with a 44t, you'll have trouble spinning out 36/11 off road** This is only on my "fast" bike the rest will remain with 22/32 setups, 32×11 is plenty fast enough for normal riding offroad (IMHO)

Will be interesting to see if my drivechain wears quicker with more granny use.

*proper downhills not fireroads – who want's to descend on fire roads?
    **unless you are a racer.

JonnyHuge
    Free Member

24/36 up front for me with a BBG chain guard and 11/-34 at the back.

Been running on FS and HT for a while now and outside of a road commute I've not wnated for anything. It's a great combination with no weight gain of a bash guard and you basically lose nothing of the range to a regular 22/32/44 setup (appart from the 44/11 ratio), and get a smother and more usable set of ratios than 22/36 IMHO.

Still – we're all different 🙂

epicsteve
    Free Member

Running a heavy bike with 22/36 does mean switching to the granny more often than it would on a 22/32 set-up but I'm struggling to see how that's a problem.

I have 22/32 on my SX and 22/36 on my BFe, both with 11-34 cassettes. Yes I can climb further using the middle ring on the SX despite being a couple of pounds heavier, but I don't see the problem with that.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Got a couple of sets. One run as a double, one as a single.

Lightest, cheapest cranks with a steel pedal insert (AFAIK). I don't need the weight of Saints, but I've pulled the threads out of XTs a couple of times. SLX is near as damn it the same weight as XT, (with good rings and a light bash) and so far, indestructable.

tron
    Free Member

22/36 works fine for me. No need for a bash.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

The SLX 22/36/bash with an 11/34 works perfectly for me. Grab the granny (fnar, fnar) at the start of a big climb and leave it there. When current front mech wears out will go for the SLX double specific job but current standard XT works fine

DenDennis
    Free Member

slightly silly question but,
    could an 'intermediate trial bodge' be done by just switching middle ring off normal triple to a 36T and using the big ring as a bash guard by just not shifting to it?
    any technical reason why this would be fail?

also, I've seen you can get either middle 36t normal or 36t 'double only' rings- does the latter have different fixings, or why would it not work on a switch as noted above? thanks 😐

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

What you are suggesting is OK Den, but the 44 is quite big and toothy and it's that aspect you're trying to get rid of really, to give a bit more clearance when dropping the front wheel over stuff.

Just remove the 44 entirely and run with 22/32, and put some washers in so that the crank bolts still tighten up. Don't forget to adjust the outer dérailleur stop so you can't accidentally click and overshoot the 32.

If you still like the idea after you've ridden it a bit then get a 36 to replace the 32 and a thin bash to replace the washers.

D0NK

or you can get SS chainring bolts if you don't think you need/want a bash. Don't think I've seen "double only" do you have a link to an example. AFAIK there shouldn't be a double only (unless it's for a road chainset)

WackoAK
    Free Member

There is an SLX 36T that is double only – I have that on my 22-36 setup on the older style HT2 XT cranks with no fitting issues.

I assume the difference is that it does not have the ramps on it compared to a normal middle ring that are for shifting up to an outer ring?

DenDennis
    Free Member

cheers.

@Wacko,
    so did you put the double only 36t on a previous triple xt chainset?

WackoAK
    Free Member

DenDennis – Yep, previous triple and now 22/36 & bash.

rubberneck
    Free Member

i use a 34t (TA chinook) on my doublebash+11/32 on my FS as i found a 32t to 'slow' and a 36t gave me gears i coulndnt find a use for on my local 4 hour route which has a bit of every thing i.e big climbs/long aggro descents and bits of flat+road in between.

i use a 11/32+22/36/bash on my hard tail which i use for a local techy xc route but will change that for another 34t eventually,,, i just dont get on with 36's

rondo101
    Free Member

Slightly OT, but what size e-thirteen bash would you need to use with a 34t chainring? The 32t is oversize for a 32t chainring, but is it big enough for a 34t?

WackoAK
    Free Member

Rondo – I have a 32T bash on my 36T chainring, it was "donated" from my previous bike and I've not got round to changing it yet. The chain sticks out a little bit so I'd recon a 32T bash should be fine for a 34T chainring.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘SLX 22-36 ring setup with bash guard. Anyone got them.?’ is closed to new replies.