Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Slx 10 speed transmission
  • speckledbob
    Free Member

Has anybody used this? How does it perform, ie. Ghost shifting etc.?

chakaping
    Free Member

Been riding it for a month or so and in filthy conditions and it’s very good so far.

It’s true about using the garnny ring much less. I really like it.

redted
    Free Member

Chakaping – are you finding any noise on the 4 big sprockets at the back x middle ring? I’ve tried dicking about with the pulley adjust screw no end and get very little difference. Noise level on a par with front mech rub, especially on climbs? its as though you can hear every roller engage with the sprockets.
    On the plus side it shifts great and I agree you don’t use the granny much at all.
    The noise just pi**es me off though!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    chakaping
    Free Member

I will keep my ears open on this evening’s ride and report back.

peath
    Free Member

Been using mine since early December through mud and ice. It’s now 1 x 10, but I ran it 3 x 10 for a while too. I snapped a chain first time out but I think that was my fault (I dislike the Shimano pin thingy!). I now run a SRAM chain and have no issues at all.

chakaping
    Free Member

Bit of a tangent, but I also seem to be using the big ring MORE than before – partly because my new bike is pretty light and fast – but also the 42t seems more useful than a 44t ring.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I had it on my Zesty, albeit with an XT mech. Shifted well enough. Swapped it out though, as I can’t stand the dual release Shimano shifters.

Makes sense with the 36T cassette. The SLX one is fairly weighty though. I rarely use the inner ring, but it’s staying for now.

Lucas
    Free Member

First ride on mine on Saturday and I thought it was great. I came from 9 speed Sram X9, which I have always liked the positive clicks when you change gear. I did miss that a bit when changing down at the lower end of the SLX cassette – it seems that the last gear changes have almost no click?

I got 3×10 with thoughts of changing to 2×10 but on my ride I found myself in the big ring a fair amount so I’ll have to see about that.

With regard to noise: I noticed, when setting it up, that it was sensitive to cable tension, the B-tension screw adjustment and also the limit adjustments of the actual mech. This was the first time in 20 years of biking that I read the instructions re the order of making adjustments and it all worked very well after doing that. It’s also worth having a look at the length of outer from you last cable stop to the rear mech, I had it too short and this caused problems setting it up.

It looks good, works good and I got the whole lot for £180 delivered from Germany!

PlopNofear
    Free Member

I find it quite good. Never use the granny ring any more. Im considering going 1×10 or 2×10, as most the time when im just pootling along im in 7th gear already.

speckledbob
    Free Member

Merlin have the full transmission set, chainset, front & rear mech, shifters, chain & block for £270. From what everyones saying this is the way to go. Is it possible to take the big ring off and replace it with a bash guard with the same front mech.? Can it just be adjusted?

chakaping
    Free Member

Merlin have the full transmission set, chainset, front & rear mech, shifters, chain & block for £270.

Save yourself a few quid why not…
    http://www.actionsports.de/gb/Components/Groupsets/Shimano-SLX-660-10-Komplettgruppe-3×10-fach::28904.html

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Is it possible to take the big ring off and replace it with a bash guard with the same front mech.? Can it just be adjusted?

In short, yes.

speckledbob
    Free Member

Thanks everyone. Minds made up and goods ordered from actionsports. Bargain.

sambob
    Free Member

I really like mine, been riding in the peaks most weekends since boxing day and not had any reliability issues yet. I use a sram PC1090 chain and the noise has been almost completely eliminated. I did the same as peath, due to a combination of the stupid shimano pin and a rubbish chain tool. Snapped the sram aswell but that was entirely my fault, forgot i was in the big ring and tried to get into granny at the back…

chakaping
    Free Member

I will keep my ears open on this evening’s ride and report back.

Sorry forgot to reply before, yes I strained my ears on Weds eve and there was a bit of a noise as you describe – but nothing too serious and usually drowned out by my puffing and panting.

Zoolander
    Free Member

I bought the xt setup from actionsports.de. Their service was great btw.
    The 3 x 10 instantly felt much better. I don’t think I’ve used the granny yet and find I’m pulling the big ring much more often. The shifting is amazingly quick as well – I upgraded from an slx 9 speed setup, which I never had issues with to be fair, but the xt 10 speed feels a whole lot slicker all round – I was suprised at the difference tbh.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Slx 10 speed transmission’ is closed to new replies.