• This topic has 46 replies, 20 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • Slumdog Millionaire- not impressed (sorry)
  • hora
    Free Member

Ok, everyone (GF included) has looked at me wild-eyed and told me Slumdog is a ‘must-see’, nay they grab your hand and stare at you with wild or fixed-eyes and implore you that you ‘must watch it’. Scientology at work here?

So, bought it on DVD yesterday for the missus and we watched it last night..

Its a bit ‘draggy’ isnt it? Its abit like City of Gods but slower with lax-editting?!!!!

ton

agree, it was crap.
    got the Bronson film to watch tonite.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Is it because there’s no explosions, hekelopter gunships and baps out, Hora?

hora
    Free Member

Lost in Translation, signs of niavity but otherwise sublime, utterly so RB. Subtle and sublime.

bonzodog
    Free Member

Thought it was a good(ish) storyline but I shant bother watching it again. Glad I didnt buy it.

hora
    Free Member
    trailmonkey

I thought it was great.

ronjeremy
    Free Member

I have no intention nor do i have any plans to watch it, it just doesn’t appeal to me,

tails
    Free Member

RACIST

samuri
    Free Member

I’ve not seen it yet but a number of my Indian colleagues have said it’s funny for the wrong reasons. They like the principle, poor chap comes good through intelligence/memory, but they don’t like the western values applied.

As far as entertainment value goes, they said it was alright.

Nick

What are you sorry for? It’s a film, you didn’t like it, last time I checked you were allowed to have your own opinion.

twohats
    Free Member

I didn’t like No Country for Old Men, it never crossed my mind at any point to share that with folks on here.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

What are you sorry for? It’s a film, you didn’t like it, last time I checked you were allowed to have your own opinion.

Indeed hora…you’re entitled to be wrong.

I didn’t like No Country for Old Men, it never crossed my mind at any point to share that with folks on here.

Likewise

Drac

It’s ok but way too overrated.

anagallis_arvensis

I watched Gangs of New York last night, now that was shit. Slumdog I thought was a nice film that I enjoyed, no master piece though

hora
    Free Member

Neither did, an opportunity lost?

Its off-topic. Maybe its not something that should be ‘discussed’ but seeing as its got alot of surrounding-hype I’m failing to see this can’t be a decent off-topic discussion? Back to No Country for Old Men. It wasnt hyped-up, it hasnt be advertised everywhere had it?

Therefore this topic is valid compared to your post?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Actually, to be fair, I did think it was a great film…nothing earth shattering, it wasn’t Citizen Kane or There Will Be Blood, but it was well made (on a comparatively tiny budget) and the idea behind it was original i.e. that the guy knew the answers because of the experiences he had had during his life.

It wasn’t “feelgood” apart from the very end.

And, I liked the dancing in the station at the end too.

hora
    Free Member

I was clockwatching/looking at the DVD timer throughout though 🙁

anagallis_arvensis – for a quick moment I thought you meant Kings of New York- brilliant film! (I guess a brilliant film thats best left not to be revisited again though)

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I watched Kings of New York recently and didn’t enjoy it as much as the first time. DDL is superb in it though. I just don’t get DiCaprio, he has never once convinced me in any role he’s ever played. Yet, he’s highly rated by everyone (not just for his looks).

twohats
    Free Member

Back to No Country for Old Men. It wasnt hyped-up, it hasnt be advertised everywhere had it?

You are joking right? A Coen brothers film not hyped or advertised! Have you been living under a rock?

trailmonkey

I just don’t get DiCaprio, he has never once convinced me in any role he’s ever played. Yet, he’s highly rated by everyone (not just for his looks).

I think he’s a pretty decent actor. Excellent in The Departed, don’t suppose he’ll ever not be associated with the dire Titanic film though.

sc-xc

ton – Member

got the Bronson film to watch tonite.

Me too!! I love that guy.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I think he’s a pretty decent actor. Excellent in The Departed, don’t suppose he’ll ever not be associated with the dire Titanic film though.

Aye tm, he’s decent enough; I guess it’s just “me” that doesn’t get him. It’s nothing to do with Titanic either. The Departed was a great film no doubt, but for me, he was the weak link in it, as he was in KONY. It must me though, he hasn’t done too badly for himself now has he.

hora
    Free Member

twohats- not to the extent Slumdog is!!!

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I liked it a lot. Everyone has different tastes. I would only see it on the big screen though.
    Mind you, I feel like that about most films – I’ve never understood why people choose to watch films at home.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Slumdog – OK but MASSIVELY overated

No Country for Old Men – great, shame C brothers are so patchy

Di Caprio – pretty poor but thankfully didn’t ruin Departed or Gangs fo New Yoik

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Mind you, I feel like that about most films – I’ve never understood why people choose to watch films at home.

+1

Me neither…the only films I watch at home are when they come on TV and I haven’t seen them previously. Mind you, anything I want to watch, I go to the cinema. Even at today’s inflated ticket prices, it’s still quite good value, apart from the stupid drinks/popcorn/coffee prices. Though, I guess if you’ve got kids, it’s probably not so simples.

We’ve got the Watershed in Brizzle though and that’s great.

hora
    Free Member

We managed to watch Das Boot (Directors uncut) at a cinema. GF hated it when she saw in on DVd (its just a tedious ‘war film’ but with it spread out infront of her in all its glory she saw it from an arthouse-perspective and really enjoyed it.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

but with it spread out infront of her in all its glory she saw it from an arthouse-perspective and really enjoyed it

Same effect as you had on her the first time she saw you on a bed then hora!

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

LOL @DD.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

LOL @DD.

+1

A fan of this guy no doubt ?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Just got a cuff round the back of the ear from mrs deadly for that one. I’m sure hora will take it well 😉

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

I’m sure hora will take it well

I bet he will, he is the forum whipping boy after all 😉

Drac

it wasn’t Citizen Kane or There Will Be Blood, but it was well made

Exactly not like There Will be Blood at all which was just shite.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Exactly not like There Will be Blood at all which was just shite.

Lets not get into a dust-up here but I’d be interested to hear why you thought it was shite?

Drac

Lets not get into a dust-up here but I’d be interested to hear why you thought it was shite?

Dull story, DDL was just DDL like he is in every film he’s been in plays I could go on but a little drunk. Basically massively over hyped but hollywood and the Oscars.

myfatherwasawolf
    Free Member

Perhaps the most obvious point of the OP’s post is that it’s a bit like City of God. Which proves he hasn’t watched at least one of those films!

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

I thought TWBB was great, although the story was a little drawn out, you could just see the frustration boiling, & the end was justice, great cinematography as well.

Drac

Perhaps the most obvious point of the OP’s post is that it’s a bit like City of God. Which proves he hasn’t watched at least one of those films!

It’s known as the Hora clause, knows everything has the knowledge of a turnip.

hora
    Free Member

Aren’t we all forum-dwellers Drac? I do also beleive that STW’er are also certified-nerds. Now don’t go denying it deary 😉 🙄

I’ve watched alot of films, not the usual Cinema-releases or the Chino-made for Hollywood tripe (saying that the rain-fight scene in Hero was a sublime masterclass.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Slumdog Millionaire- not impressed (sorry)’ is closed to new replies.