• This topic has 20 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 15 years ago by MTT.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Slumdog Millionaire ( Not a spoiler )
  • trailmonkey

Stunning. Deserving of the awards that it has recieved and of the many more that will follow. If you haven’t seen it, you really ought to.

That is all.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Well, it’s a very good film, no doubt about, that but I do reckon the reaction has been a bit OTT.
    I’ve seen better films……

terrahawk
    Free Member

My old house backs onto Danny Boyle’s dad’s house. He’s a grumpy old sod as well.

trailmonkey

I’ve seen better films……

Oh oh, the backlash has started already 😉

cuckoo
    Free Member

Saw it before all the hype started and said afterwards that it was the worst film i had seen in quite a while.

I can’t understand all the awards but it appears i am in the minority with my views. Most of the “mainstream” film watchers say i have an odd taste in films anyway so maybe it just comes down to that.

trailmonkey

Personally, I’d say it was a little to the left of “mainstrem” but there you go.

Certainly more City of God than Die Hard.

theotherjonv

I’d say it was pretty good film, on the basis that the wife booked tickets for it and come the evening I was in one of ‘those’ moods where I would have preferred a mindless thriller or a comedy rather than something with a bit of edge to it. But I was pretty well enthralled by it right from the start.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Stunning?

Yes she was wasn’t she…

anagallis_arvensis

The LAtika grown up actress is breathtakingly good looking. Its a very good film IMO.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Abso-tibity-lutely!!!! Made the second half of the film a breeze to watch. 🙂

dooosuk
    Free Member

I agree, she’s stunning. A bit of mis-cast though. Either he needed to be better looking or they needed an uglier Latika 🙂

rOcKeTdOg

stunning? not really, good? yes it is and i expect the ‘slum’ scenes are a whole lot worse in real life, deffo worth seeing though

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I agree doosuk – there was a mismatch there, but perhaps that was deliberae because she loved him because of who he was and how he cared for her from the moment they first met, rather than because he was ‘like well fit, innit’

Burchy1
    Free Member

watched it after reading the book its based on whilst travelling in OZ, enjoyed the film.

trailmonkey – have you read the book? better than the film i think.

nicko74

Ah, also – it’s strictly ‘Slumdog Miliner’, as the host keeps saying. Something about a guy working his way up the social ranks to buy himself a hat, as I recall?

mboy
    Free Member

Saw it the weekend it was released, so before I’d heard any of the hype about it. Got to say I didn’t know what to expect, but I thought it was an excellent film, certainly worthy of all the hype that’s been heaped upon it now. Best “Feel Good” film I’ve seen in years!

sodafarls
    Free Member

Go and see ”The Fall” if you can, or get it on dvd. It’s fantastic.

takisawa2

Its a good film, no doubt, but I wouldn’t rank it alongside something like “Shawshank Redemption”. I think its more because it serves to illustrate life from a different cultural / geographical aspect. Its well acted, not too OTT & I enjoyed it. I don’t think it lives up to all the “Best Film Ever” hype though.
    “Monsoon Wedding” is another superb Indian film.
    If you’ve 4 hours to spare try to catch an older Indian film called “La Ghan”. Thoroughly excellent.

skinnysteel
    Free Member

I found it very enjoyable, for what it’s worth. Preceeded by a curry at the Aziz down Cowley Road. Best night out in along time.

Kuco

It was a lot better than i expected and can see why it has won the awards. I normally get bored in the first five minutes if nothing been killed or blown up but it kept me interested.
    I always say every film worth watching the once good or bad just so you can make up your own mind, the only exception to that is the Happening. That film should be eradicated of the face of the earth.

MTT
    Free Member

sodafarls – Re. ‘the fall’ belay that recommendation, i have just wasted two hours on that. I am generally open minded about these sorts of films, but that was awful in almost every way.

Slumdog was superb though.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Slumdog Millionaire ( Not a spoiler )’ is closed to new replies.