Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 83 total)
  • Slowcookertrackworld. Lets have your recipes then?
  • yossarian
    Free Member

Short ribs

I’m surprised at how hard it is to get them round my way. One per person is plenty and I usually trim a little bit of the fat off, there is quite a bit. Sear them until they begin to blacken on every side then put them to one side. Get a dozen baby onions and fry them whole in butter until they are starting to caramelise. About halfway through add some crushed garlic. Put the beef, garlic and onions in a deep sided roasting dish and put it on the stove. Add baby carrots, celery ( the magic ingredient) and the best part of a bottle of red, and some beef or vegetable stock – not cheapo shite though. Bring to the boil for about 5 mins, salt and pepper then cover and into the oven for about 6 hours @ gas mark 3. Every hour either baste or turn the ribs and skim off any fat. With 1/2 hour before you dish up add a teaspoon of loose cornflour and whisk into the sauce.

I serve it with mashed potatoes, steamed greens and lots of fresh parsley

myti
    Free Member

I did a goat curry with hunks of goat from the local butcher the other weekend. Marinaded the meat in spices over night then whacked it in with a load of veg after browning and went out riding for the day. So awesome to come home to a meal when you’re starving and tired!

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Quick and dirty: I added half a jar of Moroccan spiced chutney to 400g cubed beef, 2 small onions sliced and a green, red and yellow pepper. About 100 ml of water for 5 hrs on low. Tasty.

eskay

Does anyone else find that food that is slow cooked all day has a strange taint to it? Bolognaise, stews etc all taste quite a bit different (but leg of lamb is superb though!)

binners

The simple trick of shoving a load of beef and veg in beer and leaving it all day was a joy to return home too last night 😀

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

eskay, some stuff does, I agree, I don’t do soup in it for that reason.

ton

mrs ton left the slow cooker filled with pork, peppers, root veg, leeks, onions and a bottle of thatchers katy, this morning.

looking forward to my return home.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Get yourself some dried chipotle chillis from ebay,chuck them in, smokey goodness abound!

ocrider

You can’t go wrong with a leg of lamb.
    Pierce it all over and push in sprigs of rosemary until it resembles a bondai forest, brown it on both sides, then chuck into the slow cooker, adding carrots, celery and a couple of whole, peeled onions. Add a glass of water, set oven to 140°C and walk away for six/seven hours. When it’s cooked, remove the fat off the top of the juice and reduce whats left in the pan with a measure of brandy. Take the gravy off the heat, stir in a little single cream, eat, drink and be bloated.

z1ppy

annebr – Member
    Did a lump of gammon last weekend.

2 ingredients
    Gammon
    Coke cola (full fat)

delicious

edit: chuck away coke after cooking serve with white sauce

Nooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!
    Pop the coke in a sauce pan, reduce it down then freeze in small plastic tubs (the smaller the better, you don’t need much). Then use the frozen chunks to add flavour (sweetness and depth) to any mince based dish & probably other types of casserole.

oh and Robdixon +1 (it a nigella recipe)

Albanach
    Free Member

As a rule of thumb how much liquid do you put in when adapting a normal recipe to the slow cooker? Specifically Jamie Oliver’s stew recipe here. as when I restrict the amoun of fluid the liquid does not cover the beef & veg??

cr500dom
    Free Member

I cook a Chilli most Sundays, for my lunch during the week.
    I started doing it when I was on the iDave diet as it seemed a sensible way of making a tasty compliant meal.

I use Meat rather than mince, and everything just goes in the pot for 8 hours.
    Half a kilo or so of beef, cubed
    couple of decent onions / shallots etc
    Garlic
    Tin of Aduki Beans, drained and rinsed
    Tin of Black eyed beans drained and rinsed (Any beans will do, I`m just not keen on kidney beans)
    2 tins of chopped tomatoes
    Tomato puree
    couple of peppers
    Mushrooms
    Dash of soy sauce
    big dash of Worcester sauce
    Pepper and salt
    Dried chilli flakes or some proper scotch bonnets if I can be bothered with the faff
    Sometimes use Jerk or Piri Piri seasoning too

This weeks one is a bit hot as I slipped with the chillis but still tastes good 😀

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Fry up a chopped onion and some garlic
    Add cubed shin of beef, and some stock (I like those Knorr gel ones at the moment)
    Plenty of ground pepper
    Some plain flour to bind/thicken a little
    Stir for a while
    Good dollop of L&P
    One tin of chopped tomato (For added richness)
    Herbs to taste, depending on your preferences. I find some basil, thyme and oregano works well
    Add in half a bottle of cheap, but hefty red
    All an a heavy Le Creuset in the bottom oven of the Aga (Naturally) for as long as you can leave it.

So simple, but sooooo good!

I think my fave thing about slow cooking is using the older, forgotten cuts of meat, like shin or cheek. Comes up a treat after hours in there.

drummer
    Free Member

Lots of folk have said lob some beef veg and beer and leave it, I’m going to try this…nom nom nom…should I put some Oxo or something in ?

grum
    Free Member

Only done veggie curries, chillies and a lentil and bean casserole in mine so far – due to the missus being veggie. 🙁

Will have to try some of these though.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Lots of folk have said lob some beef veg and beer and leave it, I’m going to try this…nom nom nom…should I put some Oxo or something in ?

Depends on the beer.

I try and use shin, as before, then add veg, pepper, L&P and a bottle of deep, rich beer. Something like a Fuller’s Golden Pride is a nice choice. That rarely needs any additional stock, IMO.

clubber
    Free Member

drummer – Member

My first go with mine today. I’ve done exactly that (Guiness) with a couple of beef stock pots so I’ll see how it works out tonight… I’ve gone for the lazy option of no-browning, etc to see if that’s critcal (since the whole point for me is that it’s easy and I don’t really want to do extra work if it’s not necessary)

drummer
    Free Member

I try and use shin, as before, then add veg, pepper, L&P and a bottle of deep, rich beer. Something like a Fuller’s Golden Pride is a nice choice. That rarely needs any additional stock, IMO.

Mmmmm, I making this on Friday, better use Brakspears since I’m an Oxford boy, thanks Captain

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Drummer, in that case, Brakspears Triple is the tipple! Now it comes in smaller bottles, you’d best buy three of four. Just to make sure you have enough for the stew, obviously……! 😀

drummer
    Free Member

Mmmmm, I making this on Friday, better use Brakspears since I’m an Oxford boy, thanks Captain

binners

I’m trying the gammon in coke recipe tomorrow, so will report back

I can vouch for the beef and veg in ale and leave alone all day. I can’t remember which ale I used. Actually, it’ll probably give some of the beardies a seizure, but someone bought me a load of Scruttocks Old Nobrot, and suchlike as a present. But as I’m a heathen and only drink fizzy eurofizz I lobbed said artisan handcrafted niche stout in the slow cooker instead.

It was lovely! 😀

drummer
    Free Member

I’ll pick a crate up tonight thanks Captain
    Anyone tell a fool how to remove a double post please ?

mogrim

Fry up a chopped onion and some garlic
    Add cubed shin of beef, and some stock (I like those Knorr gel ones at the moment)
    Plenty of ground pepper
    Some plain flour to bind/thicken a little
    Stir for a while
    Good dollop of L&P
    One tin of chopped tomato (For added richness)
    Herbs to taste, depending on your preferences. I find some basil, thyme and oregano works well
    Add in half a bottle of cheap, but hefty red
    All an a heavy Le Creuset in the bottom oven of the Aga (Naturally) for as long as you can leave it.

So simple, but sooooo good!

Basically boeuf bourguignon – Made some this weekend, had to use an electric oven rather than an Aga but it didn’t seem to matter.

Made dumplings, too, using this recipe. They didn’t quite come out as round as they are in the photo, but they tasted great 🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Yep, that’s it mogrim, nice and simple! But damned tasty!

Moved house recently and have an Aga now, so am making the most of it! Don’t have a wood burner to conform to the STW Niche Requirements, though.

Also have one of those plug in Crockpot slow cookers which is almost as good. About the same power as running a 40W light bulb or something, so dirt cheap to run.

binners

Did you get this information from your staff Flashy? I presume they sort out all that palaver once you’ve been out and sourced the ingredients?

😀

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Never see the point of cooking anything in a slow cooker that doesn’t need to be slow cooked…vegetable soup for example takes 20 minutes, or chilli that uses steak mince takes 25 minutes on the hob.

Cheap cuts of meat, or large cuts that need slow cooking to make it tender and unxious is another matter.

Whole leg of lamb is good, garlic, fried bacon, whole carrots, chunks of celeriac, parsnips, potatoes, a handful of herbs and 1/2 a bottle of white (yes white) wine and a bit of lamb stock. 7 hours or so on low. Pull apart loveliness.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

As for type of slow cooker, if you get one with a pot that can go on the hob as well as the slow cooker base, you can do all your browning, sauce reduction etc in the same pot. Useful.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

An over/under, Binners? Me? With MY reputation? 😉

Orange-Crush
    Free Member

“As for type of slow cooker, if you get one with a pot that can go on the hob as well as the slow cooker base, you can do all your browning, sauce reduction etc in the same pot. Useful.”

I agree but have been looking in vain – does anyone still make them? I end up tipping it all in to a pan which is a bit annoying.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

OC, try this one;
    http://www.johnlewis.com/crock-pot-saute-slow-cooker/p230498448?kpid=230498448&s_kenid=7a82eb27-07cd-d2c9-63b7-00001722c9e4&s_kwcid=ppc_pla&tmad=c&tmcampid=73

The pot comes out of the cooking piece, and can then go on a hob/in a hotter oven as required.

Orange-Crush
    Free Member

Thanks CF – that size would feed me for a week! I’ll investigate further.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Cook it up, freeze what’s left for a reheat! Things like curry taste better after time, even if frozen. No idea how. Must be some sort of magic.

gonefishin
    Free Member

A chemist I used to work with said the reason why some things like curry are hotter after they’ve been frozen is that the freezing process ruptures all the cell membranes which releases all the capsaicin so I suppose it’s not a stretch to think that it works with other spices too. I’ve no idea how true it is but the theory seems sound.

Freezing the excess works really well. I did a cassoulet with a lamb shank at the weekend. Probably about 6 portions from a single shank. There were a lot of different beans in there.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

A chemist I used to work with said the reason why some things like curry are hotter after they’ve been frozen is that the freezing process ruptures all the cell membranes which releases all the capsaicin so I suppose it’s not a stretch to think that it works with other spices too. I’ve no idea how true it is but the theory seems sound. pixie magic.

Not listening to any of that factual flim flam!

drummer
    Free Member

Beef, Onion, Carrot, Mushrooms,, Tomato Puree, Worcester Sauce, 2 Bay Leaves, one ‘stock pot’ and 2 Bottles Brakspears Triple going in the oven in a min
    Opened the cupboard door last night to realise my EX took the Slowcooker when she went…Noooooooo…this could end up in a custody battle 😆

binners

Some things are worth fighting for Drummer! 😉

I’ve decided on this little beauty for tomorrow. Its definitely slow cooker weather!

warton
    Free Member

I did a whole brisket of beef yesterday. just browned with carrot onion and leek, then put in the slow cooker with a bit of stock (wine would have been better, didn’t have any though)

cooked for 9 hours, then shredded and mixed in with the stock to make a kind of shredded brisket stew. still some left for tonight, it was lush 🙂

drummer
    Free Member

Binners, I’m planning the snatchback operation already ! ( I will probably just go to Argos 🙄 )
    When I get a new one I’m going to give the old Hairy Bikers sausage one a go, Thanks !

marko75
    Free Member

Did a lamb stew – but no browning and lamb on top and veggies underneath – cooked for 7 hours. Lamb falls apart but tastes quite dry. Where did I go wrong?

recipe used

cheers everyone

nickswolves
    Free Member
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 83 total)

The topic ‘Slowcookertrackworld. Lets have your recipes then?’ is closed to new replies.